Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How to remove shoe polish on car without hurting the car's paint?

I got married last week, and my friends used shoe polish to mark on my car's windows. Some of it got on my car's paint. Anyone else have friends like mine and know how to get it off? I have washed it already several times with a car brush and its still not coming off.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • J.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

White spirits will remove it. Don`t use nail polish remover as someone

has suggested because it will take the paint off as well.

• 1 decade ago

A car dealership may have a rubbing compound you can use. I think the finishes on cars are more durable now than they were in the fifties when, as a kid, I heard horror stories from the treatment friends gave my great uncles' cars when they got married.

Hope this helps.

• 7 years ago

I recently put shoe polish on my windows because my wheelchair racer son made it to the UIL State meet. I was excited to show off his success but left it on for almost two weeks. I used the "CERAMA BRYTE" COOK TOP CLEANER and the CERAMA BRYTE CLEANING PADS. I put some on the cleaner on the cleaning pad and rubbed lightly over the shoe polish first. Then I added more cleaner to the pad and gently rubbed off the shoe polish. Once I rubbed off the shoe polish, I used a clean paper towel and wiped off the cleaner. It worked great. I then sprayed some water on the window and wiped it down with another dry paper towel. It only took about 30 minutes for all five windows. This is same cleaner that is used on glass top stoves.

• Robert
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

go to your local Parts store. Get some car polish.( Nu-finsh ) will help you remove it.

Good luck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try your local auto body and paint store and ask about reducer. I used it once when somebody tagged my truck. it took the spray paint off but did not harm the finish.

• 1 decade ago

finger nail polish remover and a rag

Source(s): personal experince
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.