Why can't atheists know true happiness?

I have neighbors(friends) and have had friends that were atheists.

They really did not have that sparkle of happiness in their eyes or reactions to life in general.

If a humans only reason to live is to grow old and die there is no sparkle of hope.

Free will encompasses more than just knowing good from bad.

Knowledge of where your existence is leading promotes self worth.

Another yahoo'r wrote in this

"I know 7 people who are atheists and none of them are ever happy! I worked with them all for 23 years and not one day went by that they were happy. We had a company cookouts every year all the food that you can eat, all the drinks that you want. Large swimming pool, tennis court, and baseball games going etc.

We actually got paid 4 hours to be at this party. And these people were just miserable the whole time. It was not mandatory to go. But if you wanted extra money you went plus it was a great time. They were not happy!

I have never met a happy atheist yet! I'm getting to wonder if there is any such thing as a happy atheist. I'm sure there is just haven't met them yet. At this point I know 18 families who are atheists and none of them are happy!"

Thx

Favorite Answer

I can't believe the none of these people are happy.

Activists and educators: * Pietro Acciarito (1871–1943): Italian anarchist activist known for attempting to assassinate King Umberto I. * Ayaan Hirsi Ali (1969—): Dutch feminist and politician. * Natalie Angier (1958—): Non-fiction writer and science journalist for the New York Times. She won the Pulitzer Prize for Beat Reporting in 1991. * Dan Barker (1949—): a prominent American atheist activist. * Richard Carrier (1969—): a historian, philosopher and atheist activist. * Emma Goldman (1869–1940): Lithuanian-born radical, known for her writings and speeches defending anarchist communism, feminism, and atheism. * George Holyoake (1817–1906): English secularist, the last person in England to be imprisoned for being an atheist * Ellen Johnson: current president of American Atheists. * Taslima Nasrin (1962—): Bangladeshi physician, writer, feminist human rights activist and secular humanist. * Michael Newdow (1953—): American physician and attorney, who sued a school district on the grounds that its requirement that children recite the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance, containing the words "under God," breached the separation-of-church-and-state provision in the establishment clause of the United States Constitution. * Madalyn Murray O'Hair (1919–1995): founder of American Atheists, campaigner for the separation of church and state; filed the lawsuit that led the US Supreme Court to ban teacher-led prayer and Bible reading in public schools. * James Randi, (1928—) magician, debunker and founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation. * Margaret Sanger (1879–1966): American birth-control activist, founder of the American Birth Control League, a forerunner to Planned Parenthood. The masthead motto of her newsletter, The Woman Rebel, read: "No Gods, No Masters." * Vinayak Damodar Savarkar (1883–1966): Indian revolutionary freedom fighter, and Hindu nationalist leader. * Bhagat Singh (1907–1931): Indian revolutionary freedom fighter. * Barbara Smoker (1923—): British humanist activist and freethought advocate. Wrote the book Freethoughts: Atheism, Secularism, Humanism – Selected Egotistically from The Freethinker. * Polly Toynbee (1946—): columnist for The Guardian. Authors: * Douglas Adams (1952–2001): British radio and television writer, author of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. * Isaac Asimov (1920–1992): Russian-born American author of science fiction and popular science books. * Ambrose Bierce (1842–1914?): American writer, author of The Devil's Dictionary. * Marshall Brain (1961–) Author of WhyWontGodHealAmputees.com and GodIsImaginary.com * Sir Arthur C. Clarke (1917—): British scientist and Science Fiction author. * Vardis Fisher (1895–1968): American writer, scholar. Author of atheistic Testament of Man series. * Jan Guillou (1944—): Swedish author and Journalist. * Sam Harris (1967—): American author, researcher in neuroscience, author of The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation. * Harry Harrison (1925—): American science fiction author, anthologist and artist whose short story "The Streets of Ashkelon" took as its hero an atheist who tries to prevent a Christian missionary from indoctrinating a tribe of irreligious but ingenuous alien beings. * Christopher Hitchens (1949—): Author, journalist and essayist. * Michel Houellebecq (1958—): French novelist. * S. T. Joshi (1958—): American editor and literary critic. * Ludovic Kennedy (1919—): British journalist, author, and campaigner for voluntary euthanasia. * Rutka Laskier (1929–1943): Polish Jew who was killed at Auschwitz concentration camp at the age of 14. Because of her diary, on display at Israel's Holocaust museum, she has been dubbed the "Polish Anne Frank." * Stanislaw Lem (1921–2006): Polish science fiction novelist and essayist. * Primo Levi (1919–1987): Italian novelist and chemist, survivor of Auschwitz concentration camp. * Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799): German scientist, satirist, philosopher and anglophile. Known as one of Europe's best authors of aphorisms. Satirized religion using aphorisms like "I thank the Lord a thousand times for having made me become an atheist." * Pierre Loti (1850–1923): French novelist and travel writer. * Joseph McCabe (1867–1955): English writer, anti-religion campaigner. * China Miéville (1972—): British Science Fiction author. * Camille Paglia (1947—): American post-feminist literary and cultural critic. * Harold Pinter (1930—): British playwright, screenwriter, poet, actor, director, author, and political activist, best known for his plays The Birthday Party (1957), The Caretaker (1959), The Homecoming (1964), and Betrayal (1978). Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2005. * Terry Pratchett (1948—): English Fantasy author known for his satirical Discworld series. * Philip Pullman (1946—): CBE, British author of His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy for young adults, which have atheism as a major theme. * Ayn Rand (1905–1982):

First of all, you don't have any atheist friends, so stop your lying. The fundamentalists I know wear a permasmile and an absent look in their eyes, so you're right, I prefer sobriety rather than walking around like a grinning idiot.

My life is full of more joy than you can imagine. I have everything that matters most to me. But believe whatever helps assuage your fear of death.

If you define "happy" as having delusional belief in a mythical god for which there is no evidence of any kind...then you're correct, we atheists will never be "happy."

If, however, you define "happy" as satisfied with life, enjoying every day of the one short life we know we'll have, being curious about the world, and striving to make a good life for yourself and your children...then every atheist I know, including myself, is happy.

So I guess it's all in your definition, isn't it?

I find your "quote" amusing -- the atheists weren't "happy" being in a fancy place with all sorts of worldly amenities and getting extra money...sounds pretty materialistic to me, and material things rarely make *me* happy. Are you saying they should? Isn't that sort of the opposite of standard christian philosophy?

Peace.

Well, they say ignorance is bliss ¬_¬

And that person knows 7 people who are atheist, but then suddenly it's 18 whole families? I smell a rat.

• All the Atheists I know are quite happy and content.

Perhaps, the Atheists of whom you speak are just surly because they have evangelical Christians around that just won't leave them alone. I know I'm not very happy when I'm being nagged.

Just one more example of the nasty, mean minded attitude christians have towards anyone that doesn't share their delusions.

Incidentally, I would imagine most of the atheists you know are perfectly happy when you're not around.

you must be referring to those are suffering from dealing with christians all the time. trying to be an emotional support for people who live a life of fear can be very draining. atheists who don't live in the bible belt are normally happy...

And going to heaven brings happiness?

Quite arrogant of you, acting like you know exactly what every single atheist is feeling.

Quite to the contrary, I'm a very happy person (most of the time), and I try to brighten up everyone else's day when I can.

You seem quite bitter, though....

Source(s): ((((hobbit))))

Maybe your ideas of happiness is not shared by everyone. Or, to put it differently, do you know a true Scotsman when you see him?