Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Who has top priority first: police car, ambulance, or fire truck?

Let's say they were all in the same street. Who should stop for who and who would have top priority? I'm curious because an ambulance did not stop for a police car, but the ambulance had a lady who suffered from heat stroke in the back.

Also give reasons why you think they should go first?

I think police should go first because every second counts if you are trying to keep track of a getaway car.

The ambulance should go second because I don't think a few seconds matters to the person in the back, but it is still as important.

Fire truck goes last because in a fire, there are bystanders who could help the people inside a fire.

Favorite Answer

I'll take the ambulance first assuming the person in the back is in distress. Distress being unconscious, not breathing, in cardiac and or respiratory arrest, losing large amounts of blood, ETC...

If the person is not in distress then...

The fire department gets priority because fire being the second most destructive element, (proceeded only by water), needs to be contained quickly to prevent spreading and additional destruction. True there usually are bystanders at fire scenes who could help out, but as untrained fire fighters without equipment to aid them sending a bystander into a fire ultimately risks turning the bystander into a victim of the fire.

The police department can almost always catch there fleeing suspect later. In fact most departments usually choose not the chase suspect vehicles because a fleeing suspect in a vehicle usually creates more accidents trying to escape.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Also give reasons why you think they should go...

Source(s): top priority police car ambulance fire truck: https://tr.im/ql292

Priority Ambulance

The ambulance was not going emergent, so the cop had the right of way. The cop was a *** b/c he got right up on the ambulances ***. The rear view mirror can only look in back to see how your partners doing with the patient. The side mirrors can only look to the side.

As for your logic when it comes to who should go first is a little flawed.

So you think that a stolen can matters more than your mother who's in the back of my truck, who is dead, and we are doing cpr and pushing drugs?

You think that a fire engine is last because people who are not trained, nor have protective gear, can help people inside a fire? Creating more victims? Ok............?

Here's how it is.....really is....

If they are all going lights and sirens in the same direction or to the same call, then its whoever is fastest goes. Which is actually how it happens as you listed.

Would we yield to one or another? Nope.

Lets put it in reverse.

Fire engines are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. If a ambulance came up on on one, we would pretend they have no idea that we are behind them, and go as far around them on the right, to avoid any collision. Normally, we pass on the left, but that would scare the **** out of them b/c the left of a emergency vehicle is for them only. We also wouldn't pass them in general unless it was just silly to stay behind them the whole way.

The Police would do the same thing. They can rocket accelerate around us and be find. Compared to EMS and FIRE, they are david and we are goliath.

Source(s): EMS 7 years OKC 911

They all have equal importance to me, every seconds counts, when a life is involved! A police car chasing a stolen car is far from priority over a fire or sick or injured person! It is not the responsibility of everyday citizens to rescue people from fires or put them out!!!! As an officer I would yield to a ambulance, but if a ambulance is driving as fast as a person in a stolen car fleeing from me, I would be a bit concerned!

All three drivers would be required to proceed safely through the intersection.

Let's take a "worst case scenario" ... all three emergency vehicles coming up to a three way intersection at the same time. All three vehicles should at least slow down to a safe speed. The Emergency services coordinator (at the dispatch center) might have time to set the priority of each vehicle. If not, then the laws of motion must be taken into consideration. The fire truck would be the heaviest vehicle, and the hardest to stop ... The ambulance would be next heaviest, the police car would be the lightest (and therefore the easiest to stop).

Each situation would be different ... but I'd make sure that I did not "have a crash on the way to a crash" if I was driving one of those vehicles!

you don't know who has first priority unless you find out the crime.

ex. There is a fire then the fire trucks have first priority.

ex. A person badly injured then the ambulance has first priority.

ex. A person treatens another person the police has first priority.

Well, whatever it is, its bad. Whatever it is has me stumped. If whatever that was happened where I live, all someone would see is one local and a bunch of either sheriff or state police and one fire truck, possible two. And the ambulance is almost always there.

Firetruck And Police Car

I would say ambulances should go first since it involves people who are injured and need to be rushed to the hospital. So what if there is a criminal for a cop and so what about a fire?