LADY4EVER asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Why did Maria Jose Martinez Cheat Serena?

Check this out on youtube you can see that the girl was hit with the ball......it's clear as day.....SERENA EVEN GO OVER TO THE GIRL TO SEE IF SHE WAS OK......WHAT A CHEATER......NOW THEY WANT TO MAKE SERENA THE BAD GUY BECAUSE SHE JUST SAYING THE TRUTH

Update:

...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S78TDLLG

Youtube thumbnail

3 hours ago

NOW WHY IS THE MEDIA TRYING TO MAKE SERENA LOOK LIKE THE BAD GUY............

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

After looking at the tape it appears the ball hit Martinez; if so, she should have conceded the point.

As to why she did not, my impression is that the Williams sisters are the least popular women in tennis. The cheat (ever watch Venus ask for bathroom breaks at inappropriate times, she doesn't even know the rules!), make excuses, are rude and ungracious and self-serving. Frankly, I love tennis but I never watch the Williams sisters play. I can't stand the grunting, the petulance and the drama.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

First of all, to the person who said the thing about federer heading the ball, the point was actually already over and he was just doing that for the hell of it.

But about the whole cheating thing, i don't think it is THAT big of a deal. Yeah, she got hit the ball. Yeah, the honest thing to do would be to admit it. But it's really competitive and people try whatever it takes to win. If you watch a juniors match it is unbelievable how much more they cheat. THAT is absolutely ridiculous. I think Serena was out of line calling her a cheater. She was making too big of a deal about it instead of focusing on her own game. It was still wrong to lie, but Serena made it all dramatic like she always does and therefor i feel no pity for her. In my opinion, what Serena did was worse sportsmanship than what martinez sanchez did.

Sorry, i know that wasn't the answer that you were looking for, but that's the way i feel.

• 1 decade ago

Oh yeah - shows cheater want to cheat and still win. How is that possible. Probably the umpire was unable to see and still do not understand how he gave the point even without asking any questions.

It is the media making big news with a small incident. Serena moves on and the truth caught up with the loser.

When the media asked Serena - she openly said it was cheating. But when the media asked Sanchez she said it was silly to call her a cheat. Dumb loser!!!! Probably Letterman or Leno will pick this for their show.

• Renan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

shame on Serena. it was only 1 point ! maybe the umpire didn't see it !

did you see Federer against Del Potro in AO 2009 ? when Federer was up 40 - 0 he had a very short and bouncing ball,, he headed the ball (yes just like in football / soccer) to finish the game,, Del Potro and the umpire didn't complain.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'm hard pressed to call Martinez a cheater. What it is is poor sportsmanship. Classy competitors don't accept points they haven't earned. The umpire is the one who blew the call though and deserves the blame IMO.

• 1 decade ago

SUPERPIG...YOU ANSWERED JUST LIKE YOUR NAME STATES...IF THE WOMAN EVEN AFTER THE MATCH DENIES THAT SHE HIT THE BALL, YOU WOULDN'T CALL IT CHEATING?

AND BREAK POINT IS A BIG DEAL PEOPLE...BREAK POINT...U NEED TO START PLAYING TENNIS, COMMENTS ARE COMING IN WITHOUT THOUGHT...

SERENA WAS RIGHT, I WOULD HAVE BEEN PISSED TOO

• 1 decade ago

Serena and the Williams clan are at it again..Maybe they think Venus was cheated too??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.