Off leash dog attacks my leashed dog- who's at fault?

If an off leash dog attacks my leashed dog is the owner of the off leash dog liable even if it is their dog that gets injured? What if the same thing happens but on my property as sometimes my dog is tied to our front yard tree if I'm out watering plants? A lab has come and attacked my dog twice now in the... show more If an off leash dog attacks my leashed dog is the owner of the off leash dog liable even if it is their dog that gets injured? What if the same thing happens but on my property as sometimes my dog is tied to our front yard tree if I'm out watering plants?
A lab has come and attacked my dog twice now in the past 3 days on my property. It's owners were with it but it was off leash. My dog is a mastiff and neither were hurt but it was noisy and scary and I'm losing my patience.
Update: We do have a fence but not in our front yard. I don't think I should have to fence my entire property to fix someone elses's problem.
Update 2: Goldenlover- there are lots of off leash dogs where I live. Most are nice. But you are saying everytime I am out in my front yard and see an off leash dog I should gather up my dog and go inside??? What a hassel. Would you do this in my situation--- I highly doubt it.
Update 3: Rayven- That is like saying I and everyone else should bubble wrap ourselves. Is your entire yard fenced? Should a viscous dog have the right to attack you or your pet just because you don't have a fence? This is what you are saying and it is the worst answer I have received. My dog is not the attacker and is... show more Rayven- That is like saying I and everyone else should bubble wrap ourselves. Is your entire yard fenced? Should a viscous dog have the right to attack you or your pet just because you don't have a fence? This is what you are saying and it is the worst answer I have received. My dog is not the attacker and is never let run loose.