program key with chip for 2008 chevy malibu?

So i lost my car keys and didn't want to tow my car to the dealership so they told me i could program it myself so i said i'd do that he told me all i had to do was turn the key to on for ten minutes 3 times so i did this and it didn't work. the dealership is closed and i need my car asap. anyone know what to do. at first the radio came on and the fan and the lights but now they wont turn on at all. i'm confused and don't wanna tow my car so someone help please.

Best Answer

1.With an unlearned master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2.Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.

3.Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

4.Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The TDM learns the key transponder information upon the ignition switch transition from OFF to ON. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5.With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information.

6.If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys.

7.With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

IMPORTANT! Be sure that the battery maintains a minimum of 10.5 volts throughout the entire procedure or the learned information will be lost.

Source(s): GM Dealer Tech
  • viresh

2008 Malibu Car

Check the first digit of the VIN. If it is a 1, the procedure outlined above should work, but the cycle may be more along the line of 10 minutes, 45 seconds.

If the first digit is a 2, the vehicle is Canadian, and must be programmed with a scan tool.