Did the civil war technically emancipate slaves?

I know the civil war led to ending slavery but i need some background info to how the CIVIL WAR didnt actaully END it..

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Believe it or not, Abraham Lincoln did NOT designate emancipation of slaves as the primary focus of the civil war. Lincoln entered the north into the civil war to "preserve the union" or in other words, bring the south back and unify into a complete country. Not until 1863, when Lincoln mandated the Emancipation Proclaimation, was the focus shifted to freeing the slaves. He did not issue this mandate until 1863 because he didn't want the border states to succeed from the union as did many other states and wanted their support for as long as they could.

• 1 decade ago

In a way, yes. Pres. Lincoln could not end slavery. It would have been illegal because the constitution allowed for slavery to exist. But the President during a war is legally allowed to confiscate the enemies property. This is what made the Emancipation Proclamation legal. President J.Q. Adams even predicted this saying that if the southern states ever succeeded that the president could use his war power to free the slaves.

• 1 decade ago

Slavery was *technically* legal in parts of the U.S. (as opposed to the soon-to-be-former-C.S.A.) until well after the Civil War was over. The four "slave states" (Maryland, Delaware, Missouri and Kentucky) all permitted slavery at the outbreak of the war, but nevertheless stayed loyal to the Union. Also, the breakaway segment of Virginia that became West Virginia. By the end of the war, Maryland and almost-West-Virginia had outlawed slavery. On December 6, 1865, the passage of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution outlawed slavery everywhere in the U.S. and former C.S.A. The war had been over (more or less) since April of that year.

• 3 years ago

definitely, the two real reasons have been financial and superiority ideals. Slavery allowed plantations to be extra worthwhile (did no longer ought to pay slaves to paintings), and the erroneous ideals that someway the colour of epidermis made some extra extra desirable as human beings than others. The Confederacy cloaked in the thought of "State's Rights," in spite of the fact that it became no longer something extra desirable than an argument for State-sanctioned racism. traditionally, Lincoln did no longer emancipate the slaves till the Civil conflict became long underway. there are various sources on the Civil conflict, yet once you inspect issues via an author named Shelby Foote, or the long PBS sequence "The Civil conflict" via Ken Burns, they're appropriate to the terrific - in my view.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, the Civil War itself did not itself emancipate slaves in the US. Emancipation was the result of a Presidential proclamation and the subsequent 13th amendment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

civil war was fought to preserve the union ... african americans were told you that theyre free but had no were to go... subject to starve to death and fall under the rule of the same plantation owners.. once again tricked by the us government ..... how can you free someone after you participate in that system for 200 hundred or so years

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Slavery in NAME was abolished when the North defeated the South.

The truth is, slavery of a -form -continued by a system of catch 22 situations for the freed slave.

I.E You can work for me for a low wage and come payday you got nothing bcoz you had to give it all back for your room and board.

Things like that.

Source(s): its in the history books
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it did but the process itself still took a hundred years before those black men were actually recognized because they still felt segregation until 1970's. civil war itself ended in 1865

• the 13th amendment did....

If I see one more idiot post "believe it or not the war was fought to preserve the union" as if they have discovered some rare information, I am going to explode!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.