Michael Steele believes attacks on Sotomayor's race and gender can continue to damage the GOP. Thoughts?

RNC chair Michael Steele, guest-hosting on Bill Bennett’s radio show early this morning, repeatedly distanced himself from Republicans and conservatives who have been harshly attacking Sonia Sotomayor, saying the assault risked damaging the party.

Steele also appeared to suggest that such attacks were a non-starter because the liberal media, and MSNBC in particular, would use them to damage the GOP.

In what seemed like an effort to distance the party from claims that Sotomayor is “racist” and an “Affirmative Action” pick, Steele repeatedly said that Republicans should be hailing the historic nature of Obama’s pick.

“I’m excited that a Hispanic woman is in this position,” Steele said. He added that instead of “slammin’ and rammin’” on Sotomayor, Republicans should “acknowledge” the “historic aspect” of the pick and make a “cogent, articulate argument” against her for purely substantive reasons.

Steele warned that because of the attacks, “we get painted as a party that’s against the first Hispanic woman” picked for the Supreme Court.

“We don’t need to play this the way the Democrats have played it in the past,” Steele said, adding that Republicans can’t do this because they don’t have the “liberal media” on their side, the way Dems did. Said Steele: “MSNBC will rip everything we have to say up into shreds.”

Steele didn’t mention Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich, the two leading proponents of the racially-loaded attacks on Sotomayor. It’s a reminder of Steele’s predicament: He knows how badly these attacks are damaging the party and how neatly they play into the hands of Dems, but he can’t call out the leading figures launching those attacks, because that risks infuriating the base and feeding the meme that the GOP is hopelessly divided.

http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/republican-natio...

• Bryan
    Favorite Answer

I have actually said the same things in conversations I have had with people lately. This is really a non starter because opposition to this appointment is being labeled as purely racist. The fact that this is not true does not change the prevailing fact that Democrats have been effective at smearing Republicans with the racist logo and this situation will not be any different. However this is a double edged sword because this is the new Democrat rallying cry. Any opposition no matter how valid is being labeled in the same way. The danger here is that the Democrats are seriously diluting the race card. Most white guilt has been erased by over use of the tactic. It is only a matter of time before many minorities also begin to seriously question such ploys if the pattern continues. Frankly I think it is a sad day when we cannot discuss actual statements, actions and records of people regardless of what race they may be a part of.

He does not say that blacks are extra desirable. He does not say that blacks ought to take transport of preferential medical care. He discusses reaching out to the African American community, a laudible purpose provided that many African human beings are conservative and could be Republican in the event that they knew extra appropriate to the Republican party. could desire to you clarify how something that he has pronounced is racist? Conversely, Sotomayor pronounced that studies as a hispanic woman made her extra qualified than a white guy. in case you won't be in a position of comprehend how Sotomayor's remark is wrong, then you definately could desire to be a racist. Even Sotomayor is saying that it became a foul decision of wording.

• Power

Micheal Steele will later be in the news bashing her for the same reasons he it telling others not to do that....I am from MD when he is from. They man can not stay focused. He really does say one thing than changes his mind to the opposite. If he is right about this then his site has ben filled up with people bashing her for this so they are hurting their own party. I don't see any republicans here coming out to offer a suggestion as to who would be better (of course they think Palin is better so there goes their judgement) but they should be telling the trolls on here to stop it & they should start supporting this country. I have no seen that happen.

Steele is absolutely correct.

The goal of the GOP should be as he outlined, attack her beliefs, but shy away from mentioning her racial background.

Otherwise, Obama is going to get 80-90% of the hispanic vote in the 2012 election instead of the 70% he got last year.

Michael Steele is black.. he will say whatever sounds about right for his race. He and Colin Powell should make a good pair... and I do wonder why they do not just go join the Dems and get it over with!

I say if people are too dense to question what Sotomayor said, then we don't want them as voters. I'm tired of both party's pandering to voters...what ever happened to principle, pride and logic?

What she said was racially charged but b/c she has some pigment in her skin, people are giving her a free pass. And why hasn't she addressed the issue like we'd expect in a leader?

They're all playing politics and blaming what Sotomayor said on the Republicans for calling her out. The issue is what she said and how that conflicts with the position she's nominated for - a lifetime membership on the objective and impartial Supreme Court...the highest court in the land.

But what the hell, lets focus on a radio talk show host instead...it's so much juicier.

Source(s): Common-sense and the ambition to avoid being a dunce.

I agree. The name calling etc is getting ugly and too personal. €

Im a democrat and I believe what she said to be wrong also.Im a white man who was held back since reagan started this. For no other reason than the color of my skin and sex..You should never get a job because of your sex or color of skin,You should get it because your the best to fill that job.

• bob

I think it shows a rare bit of sanity in a party that seems to have lost it's collective mind!

Didn't read the details but the GOP is destroying itself along with taking respectable people and ruining their careers, the GOP needs to grow up as I along with many others don't want to be involved or hear about for that matter their childish games and soar loser attitude.