Home-made panniers: I need ideas for the protective backing?

This is for a scooter. Money is tight right now, so I'm going to create my own panniers. I plan to take a couple of grocery canvas bags and add metal hooks onto them and place them over the side of the scooter to have room for groceries, or whatever. I'm using this type of bag so that I can keep it in my... show more This is for a scooter.

Money is tight right now, so I'm going to create my own panniers. I plan to take a couple of grocery canvas bags and add metal hooks onto them and place them over the side of the scooter to have room for groceries, or whatever. I'm using this type of bag so that I can keep it in my storage compartment at all times in case I ever need to do any shopping after work.

The issue I have is that i want a protective backing on the bag for two reasons: one to keep the scooters paint from being sanded away due to friction, and second to keep the bag from prematurely getting tears/holes in it from scraping against the scooter after turns.

Any suggestions?