Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My neutered cat won't stop spraying, I have to give him away?

My room mate and I got a male kitten 1 year ago, he was the perfect cat. He started uncontrolably peeing on everything in sight, our bed, the couch, our clothes, the carpet. It's been big a stress, we just got him neutered but I guess we waited too long because now it's a habbit. Unfortunately we know the fact of the matter is he will spray for life and it will never stop. My room mate is heart broken because we have to give him up, we tried asking people if they wanted an outdoor but nobody wants him. He's currently confined in a corner of our apartment....soiling my carpet. Is there anything I can do or will he seriously pee forever. If he really won't stop which I think is the case can someone provide with information of where I can take my cat; like a humane society of some sort. We don't want to put him down., we just want to give him away. We live in the san fernando valley of california.

Favorite Answer

First of all before you do anything rash, take him to the vet and have him checked for a Urinary Tract Infection, cats with UTI's associate the litterbox with the pain of urinating and usually refuse to use it after the association has been made.

Second of all, Is he Declawed? Next to UTI's this the top reason for urinating outside of the litter box and if this is the case you absolutely CANNOT give him away for something that is your fault. (again only if you had him declawed).

I know people who've gotten cats neutered at 5 and they stopped spraying. But you need to be patient it takes three weeks to a month for the hormones that cause him to spray to leave his body. If you just got him neutered then of course he's still spraying the hormones instructing him to do so are still present in his body.

I am willing to bet that in a months time he'll have stopped spraying completely. You can also try getting him a second litter box as many cats prefer to have one for each elimination. (ALL three of my cats urinate in one and defecate in another so this could also solve your problem).

You adopted this cat and its your responsibility to do everything you possibly can before giving up on him and giving him away. Be patient ok, I seriously bet he stops spraying in the next few weeks.

Good luck and email me if you need to.

ADD: Blackmambakills: Getting him neutered has EVERYTHING to do with stopping him from spraying. Neutering a cat removes his testicles, his testicles produce the hormone that instructs him to spray. They spray to mark their territory yes, but it all has to do with mating and alerting other Tom cats to their presence. When the hormone is gone, they have no desire to mate, and no desire to mark territory. So you are completely wrong and please don't answer questions until you know what you are talking about. My male cat was neutered at 6 months of age and he has NEVER sprayed a day in his life.

ADD: I just wanted to add that I read your question about your unstable chihuahua and I can guarantee you that is causing the cat a great deal of stress, which is likely another reason he is spraying. Cats don't handle change very well, nor do they handle stress of unstable animals well and he is likely trying to communicate his stress and frustration at the situation. As I said before be patient and the spraying will likely stop, However, you may also want to consider getting your dog to a behaviourist to have him evaluated.

A cat belonging to a friend of mine was essentially tortured by her first owners three year old child, her tail was pulled, bitten, chewed on, her hair ripped out, she was chased around and she was so stressed out she was urinating on everything. They rehomed her with my friend and she was terrified and untrusting but after six months she is wonderful and NEVER urinates in anything but the litter box. Stress leads to urinating, if your cat is stressed, you have your answer.

The Feliway Difuser is a great tool, but the dog will need to be corrected so the cause of the stress is removed. That along with the removal of the hormones should stop the spraying.

Source(s): Owned by three cats

Silver Mo has the great advice. And I may add that you must get the pee smell out or the cat will think he should pee where he has peed in the past. You may want to replace the carpet and/or treat it with an enzyme cleaner you find in the cat aisle at pet stores to completely remove the urine smell. Also, make sure he has 2 litterboxes and that these are cleaned of the soiling asap, at least 2 times a day. You may also want to try some CatAttract litter so the litterbox will be more appealing. If you have him tested for a uti, you can get the sample of urine yourself. After the cat pees for about 5 seconds, put a very clean container underneath like a mini silcone container that is flexible (you can get those at Dollar Tree) or a measuring cup. Then put the pee in a very clean vitamin container or a sterile specimen cup you can get from the vet. If you can't get the sample to the vet within the hour, you refrigerate it up to 3 hours. Most likely though and hopefully the cat isn't sick but still has the hormone thing going and is repeating the habit because you gotta get the urine smell out or he will be reminded to keep peeing in those places.

1

Source(s): Stop Cat Spraying http://emuy.info/StopCatSpraying
  • Laura

Last year my beautiful Manx cat Theodore went out for the evening and never came back. I love cats and the house didn't feel the same without one, so I picked up Lola from a rescue centre. She was very frightened and would pee all over the house. I found Cat Spraying No More� on the internet and the techniques worked almost immediately. I haven't had a problem with Lola since. Amazing!

Can't stop your cat peeing in the house? Then worry no more...

I just happened to be reading about this very same issue in one of my many cat books today. In case you want to check it out, the book is titled "Outwitting Cats" and it has information about absolutely everything in it. You can find the book at Borders bookstore or order it online. There's a HUGE chapter dealing with spraying, so I can't go into all of the details here, but I'll just give you a little bit of the information I read:

"Much spraying, marking and outside-the-box defecation and urination are caused by stress. One of the best tools for reducing feline stress and minimizing the effects of territorial competition, and reducing the spraying and marking they can cause, is also one of the newest. A product called Feliway mimics the scent (facial pheromones) found in the glands near their cheeks, lip and foreheads that cats habitually deposit on friendly, safe, familiar objects in their environments when they rub their faces against them. Wash the spot that's been sprayed or marked, and then spritz Feliway directly on the spot. If the soiled area is on carpet or upholstery, clean it thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner first. Then spritz Feliway on a separate piece of cloth and lay that cloth over the deodorized area. When the cat returns to 'freshen up' his urine mark, he'll detect the scent of Feliway instead, and he'll detect that the spot doesn't require repeat urine-marking after all. It's a friendly location, already tagged with universal 'Everything's OK here' scent." The book goes on to state that in some cases, antidepressant medications have been used quite successfully to get cats to stop spraying and marking, so maybe you should ask your vet about this. Hopefully, if you try these things, your kitty's behavior will improve and you won't have to give him away.

Now, just a word about the debate that seems to be going on about whether or not neutering stops spraying and marking behaviors. In MOST (but NOT all) cases, it does stop the behavior, and in some cases, it only reduces the frequency of the behavior. There are statistics to back me up on this.

Source(s): Many, many years with cats, and previous work in a veterinary clinic.

Hello!

I think that SilverMoon has some very good points. I just wanted to add my cat's experience in case it has happened to yours.

When I adopted my male cat he was presumably four years old and had papers showing that he had been neutered. However, he kept marking around the house and still had thick "fighting pads" on his cheeks (a characteristic of tom cats). The spraying went on for a while and we saw a vet who put him on kitty hormones to get him to stop. It helped a little but didn't solve the problem. Finally, after taking him home (I was away in college with him) to our family vet she had a suspicion that he may still have a testicle inside him that had not descended (cryptorchidism, for more info visit http://www.petplace.com/cats/cryptorchidism-in-cat... It ended up being the case and it was a simple operation to remove it. He was fine within a week or two and hasn't sprayed at all since.

Since you had just had your kitty neutered, it is unlikely that they "missed" a testicle and would have noticed only pulling one out (you would think, but it happened to my cat, or maybe he had three to begin with...we'll never know!) so this may not be the case for you. I just thought I would share what I knew so that you could analyze all your options.

Another suggestion may be to visit

www.feliway.com/

they sell a cat pheromone that you can spray around your house that deters cats from marking. I never tried this because it seemed pricey and doesn't last forever. You have to keep spraying it on a regular basis. I do know you can buy it cheaper on eBay if you look for it.

I hope I was a little help!!

Best of luck to you and your furry friend!!

Last yr my lovely Manx cat Theodore went out for the night time and certainly not got here again. I love cats and the condominium did not consider the identical with out one, so I picked up Lola from a rescue centre. She was once very fearful and might pee in every single place the condominium. I determined Cat Spraying No More� on the web and the strategies labored practically instantly. I have not had a quandary with Lola because. Amazing! Can't quit your cat peeing within the condominium? Then fear not more...

Okay first of all, Yes you probably did wait to long because he is too adjusted to thinking w/his testosterone, its what he learned to do. Sometimes Female cats spray too.

Your cat may be having urinary or anal gland problems so check it out with a vet.

Well since you live in california I would of said to try sending him to Cat Haven in kings county, but that might be too far. It's a no kill home. There are no kill shelters so try finding them. You can call your local aspca, animal control, or an animal hospital and ask if theres one around.

You can also try and train him but it takes time and patients

i believe that if a cat is properly neutered then he is supposed to be UNable to spray any longer. Don't quote me on it, but after all of my boy cats with the same problem got neutered they all quit spraying for good. If he is not spraying and he is peeing all over the place, then there may be something in your app that he is afraid of or something that makes him nervous about someone that hangs around him. Cats usually are very very good about using a litter box, all they have to do is smell the litter and they will use it every time. so, put him in a box and mail him to me cause i love cats. he can pee all over me if he wants

A farmer might take him. Farmers have cats to eat mice that eat feed for the other animals on a farm. They are outside cats, obviously. That is what I'd do, contact a farmer, if you can in CA. There's got to be one in CA, is there?