I volunteer at an AIDS-related charity. Why are so many gay men still into?

unprotected, anonymous sex with so many different partners? Haven't we all learned anything since the 80s? With STDs and HIV on the rise again, it makes even less sense now than it did earlier. Serious answers only.

Favorite Answer

Because many of them believe that HIV is no longer considered a terminal illness, but more like diabetes where all they have to do is take their treatment and live a full life. By the way, I'm straight and this dangerous misconception can also be seen among heterosexuals.

Many people (not just gay men) are in denial about their risk factors. Also, many people still do not have accurate info about HIV transmission. I see that in my job all the time. Some people still believe that the only risk factors are being gay and sharing needles for drug use. Some people believe "It can't happen to me" and some people believe that people who have HIV look and feel sick. (Of course, those statements are all false.)

Actually, at this point, heterosexual women are being infected more often than gay men.

Source(s): I do HIV education and testing.

Hey, reword your question. You sound like you're flamebaiting. I'm sure that wasn't your intention. Stupidity doesn't know sexuality and the scenario you described honestly sounds more like my straight friends than my gay ones. Just sayin'.

In a more zen point of view, all things in life are cyclical. We perceive a threat, we fight back against it, and then we relax when it seems like it's all good. It happens with wars, with disease...hell, with grocery prices. It's everywhere.

its not just the gays..alot of people are unprotected... and its scary as hell...maybe they don't like like the thought of the condom..i hear a guy cant feel as much....maybe they think they can beat the odds....

Why do people still drive without seatbelts? Why do people still ride motocycles without helmets? Same thing, different category..

They're willing to take the risk, and they probably think "oh it'll never happen to me".