Computer or Environmental Engineering?

-ENGINEERS-Are their any "actual" environmental engineers and computer engineers that can tell me the pros and cons of their job??

-ENGINEERING STUDENTS-Any EE or CMPE students ou their that can describe the level of diffuculty each one of these calls for and maybe some tips as to how to get through it?

-Also, would like info the differences in starting salaries but ONLY FROM THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN IN THE ENGINEERING JOB MARKET.

Favorite Answer

First off, check out this link:

http://www3.lehigh.edu/academics/catalog/html/inde...

This is the course catalog for my undergraduate school. Read the courses for each major and the description. Lehigh also has salary information, but it's largely dependent on what you achieve, what caliber school you attend, and where your interests lie.

I am an EE grad. EE is Electrical Engineering. ECE (Electrical and Computer Engineering) often make up a department. Electrical and Computer are very similar, and different only in their senior year of study. If you declare computer, you will likely take more introductory programming courses earlier, but you still have the option to do this with electrical. I have a strong background in the general field, and computer engineering is devoted more towards microprocessor system design, logic system design, and other problems. Electrical (if you want to look in the same area) is more involved in circuitry (integrated circuits, VLSI, and solving problems using current and transistors).

Environmental Engineering works more with the earth. Studying the effects of humans, finding innovative ways to test, analyzing data, survey, learn about some basic MechE, hydraulics.

It's hard to say since each field is so broad.

Electrical Engineering has many sub fields:

-Communications (theory and circuitry)

-Device Physics (semiconductors/transistor science and the science of the materials)

-Circuit Design (Digital or Analog)

-System modeling (as comes with common engineering ideology - the ability to organize systems (for example, state space))

-Electromagnetics/Optics (which fall under device physics & communications)

Computer Engineering also has many different areas:

-Digital System Design

-Programming (more on the driver/hardware level than CSE majors)

-Microprocessor design

-Memory research (again with semiconductors)

All of these fields have many opportunities, and salaries differ greatly. Some people graduate and work for 45k, and I've heard as others who had great records getting as much at 75k. There is a wide range, and what you achieve determines your salary, as well as the job market.

Source(s): Electrical Engineering Degree

In my view the environmental engineering jobs will be as short in supply as they are in duration. They will last only as long as the subsidies from the government which at present spend rates will be BK within the decade.

I'm an EE with an environmental bent.