Jarred baby food vs regular food?

Why do people still use jarred baby food? Solids should not be introduced until an age (coincidentally?) when the baby can Chew his/her food.

"Take rice cereal, for example. Under conventional American wisdom, it's the best first food. But Butte says iron-rich meat — often one of the last foods American parents introduce — would be a better choice.

Dr. David Ludwig of Children's Hospital Boston, a specialist in pediatric nutrition, says some studies suggest rice and other highly processed grain cereals actually could be among the worst foods for infants."

Rice cereal = not a good early food

Try baby led weaning instead. Wait the 6 months and cook and cut up vegetables like broccoli and carrots. You'll still have to watch them and they might make a little mess but they will eat as much as they are hungry for and develop their hand mouth coordination too.

Companies should not be telling us how to parent and making a whopper profit off of selling 5 cents of food for 50 cents!

So my questions are:

Why are we letting corporations into every aspect of our parenting?

Why do people continue to overpay for baby food?

I agree gerber isn't around to benefit our children, only to line their own pockets and make themselves look good.

No I don't have kids but don't you think someone should learn something about them BEFORE they arrive?

I feel that people don't know that you don't have to use jarred food. It isn't something babies NEED but everyone assumes its how everyone should feed their baby.

Weaning STARTS when the first solid food is introduced. Weaning ENDS when breastmilk is no longer part of the baby's diet.

from Webster:

1: to accustom (as a young child or animal) to take food otherwise than by nursing

Starting solid foods is getting them used to taking food in a way other than nursing.

Favorite Answer

Honey, I couldn't agree with you more! :)

Gerber is like every other corporation, there to make money. They are pretty sly, convincing many parents that if it says "baby" on it, you MUST buy it for your kids. Good grief.

Source(s): Go BLW!
  • csbiup

Who is Butte? And does Dr. Ludwig want to come feed my baby his daily dose of iron rich meat?

To answer your questions:

1. We don't let corporations make all our decisions. Most people try some jarred food but also feed mashed foods from home. More and more parents are not feeding cereal, but skipping straight to foods. I think the most popular baby foods are ones containing meat and mixed foods in the same jar. It's not something easy to make/ transport at home.

2. We over pay because it is convenience.

Have a couple kids and then see what you think about cooking and preparing ALL of your child's meals.

BTW, baby led weaning refers to breastmilk and when to stop breastfeeding, not when to start solids. You could start solids, but not wean until much later.

Why do you care? I don't mean to sound rude by that but it's not your job to parent other peoples children. We all do what we think is in our babies' best interest. For some that's feeding jarred foods, for others it's waiting and going the BLW route. As long as the baby IS fed and is healthy then that's all that really matters in the end.

I will, however, skip jarred foods aside from emergencies with our next. I found mashing up foods of my own was tons cheaper and even fun for myself. I didn't learn about that until our son had been on jarred foods for a couple of weeks, though.

ETA: Oh, so you don't have children yet? Yet you're sitting on here lecturing those that do? How silly.

I've actually seen TONS of moms on this site refer to BLW or making baby food. That is actually where I heard about it from so, no, everyone does not think you have to use jarred foods. Again, it's their own personal choice in what is best for their child. Butt out.

I plan on using the baby led weaning method because I 've read studies that state the same thing. I personally hate liver but I'd be willing to buy it for my baby to get her iron the right way and not from rice cereal. I am waiting until my little one gives me cues she wants to eat what momma is eating, then will start giving her real food not mashed up food that you'd only recognize it from reading the label.

Do you want serious answers or are you just picking for a fight ?

(I don't use jarred food and I feel tempted to be rude, just from the condescending tone you used ! )

Every Mom acts as she sees best for her baby.

Sorry, having a reference doesn't mean anything. You can probably find an internet reference for any idea you could imagine, even proof that the sky is green !

EDIT : ''I'm Back'' It's called a blender... LOL

RE-EDIT : Oh dear. Maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh, seeing as how you had no youth and no life, being 19, married and living with your parents. I would be bitter too if I was your age and had no other social life on friday night except for talking down Moms who actually have REAL LIVE kids !

• Bird

You cannot just listen to one source or study and apply it to every child. Rice and other cereals do pose problems for some children for example those with celiac disease. but rice cereal for the most part is probably just fine for the majority of kids. As for jarred food, you pay for convenience.

I had never heard of this concept when my twins were babies but once they were self-feeding I stopped spoon feeding them.

I plan to do this with my son. I think it's great and I also think baby food is a gyp. I made my own when my twins were babies but I did purees and stuff.

• dmg

In general, I agree with you. But you don't have a baby, as you've mentioned in other answers so why not wait until you have one before you ask questions that are really just lectures about subjects you've only read about and never actually dealt with?

Edited: Oh, LMAO, and you're 18! No wonder you know everything, okay now I understand.

I just want to point out that you are assuming people are buying their baby food. Many, many people just feed their baby what they are eating after they through it in the pureer (is that a word? lol, you know what I mean they puree it)

IDK- my son was capable of chewing just fine with no teeth at 7 months. i obviously didn't give him huge chunks but things soft enough for him to chew. Baby food wasn't around not too long ago

BLW mean skipping pureed or mashed foods all together