What are the symptoms of "Pre-Leukemia "?

I have been fealing really weird its had to explain what are the symptoms of "Pre-Leukemia "

By the way I am anemic and the docotor said there was something wrong with my blood counts

By the way I am anemic and the doctor said my blood counts are extreamly low and I have to see the Hemotoloegest. I talked to a friend who said it sound like I have lukemia

Favorite Answer

Pre-leukemia, also known as myelodysplastic syndromes, or smouldering leukemia, is related to leukemia in that the bone marrow does not function properly. In pre-leukemia, the immature cells in the bone marrow, known as blasts, mature into non-functional cells. This is closely related to AML leukemia, which is a fast-progressing version in which the blasts do not mature at all. There are several different types of these pre-leukemia diseases - CML, and a few different types of anemia. Pre-leukemia is most common in older people but can occur in younger people as well. Since the blasts do not mature properly, or at all, there are lower blood counts. Low red blood cell counts lead to anemia, low white blood cell counts lead to more common infection and less ability to fight infection off, and lower platelet counts result in bleeding and clotting problems. It's often treated with blood transfusions, chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant.

I can't tell you the exact symptoms of pre-leukemia but I can tell you about AML leukemia, which is closely related. My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick coupled with a fever. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. Along with the cold he was very, very tired. He was also diagnosed with anemia with no explanation as to why he was anemic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

I hope this helped you out some and I hope nothing but the best for you. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli
  • kirk

Pre Leukemia Symptoms

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): symptoms quot pre leukemia quot: https://biturl.im/Mb6Er
  • izzy

My daughter in law has just been diagnosed with leukaemia. Her main complaint was feeling tired and lacking energy.

She also gets headaches but I don't know if they were/are related to the worry of it all.

Don't frighten yourself reading medical stuff and talking to friends who do not have medical experience.

So many illnesses start with feelings of fatigue and there are many reasons 'something could be wrong' with your blood count.

Your doctor should have told you what might be wrong and answered your questions. Could you ring his office and ask?

It could be as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axWdv

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (or "chronic lymphoid leukemia"), known for short as CLL, is a type of leukemia in which too many lymphocytes are produced. Although the malignant lymphocytes in CLL may look normal and mature, they are not and these cells may not cope effectively with infection. CLL is the most common form of leukemia in adults. Men are twice as likely to develop CLL as women. However, the key risk factor is age. Over 75% of new cases are diagnosed in patients over age 50. More than 7,000 new cases of CLL are diagnosed in the U.S. each year. Whilst generally considered incurable CLL progresses slowly in most cases. Many people with CLL lead normal and active lives for many years - in some cases for decades. Because of its slow onset, early-stage CLL is generally not treated since it is believed that early CLL intervention does not improve survival time or quality of life. Instead, the condition is monitored over time. Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) is a form of chronic leukemia characterized by increased and unregulated clonal production of predominantly myeloid cells in the bone marrow. CML is a myeloproliferative disease associated with a characteristic chromosomal translocation called the Philadelphia chromosome. Historically, it has been treated with chemotherapy, interferon and bone marrow transplantation, although targeted therapies introduced at the beginning of the 21st century have radically changed the management of CML. Chronic phase Chronic phase CML is treated with imatinib mesylate (marketed as Gleevec® or Glivec®; previously known as STI-571). In the past, antimetabolites (e.g. cytarabine, hydroxyurea), alkylating agents, interferon alfa 2b, and steroids were used, but this has been replaced by imatinib. Imatinib is a new agent, approved by the US FDA in 2001, which specifically targets BCR/abl, the constitutively activated tyrosine kinase fusion protein caused by the Philadelphia chromosome translocation that is felt to be responsible for driving the abnormal cell proliferation of CML. It is better tolerated and more effective than previous therapies. Bone marrow transplantation was also used as initial treatment for CML in younger patients before the advent of imatinib, and while it can often be curative, there is a high rate of transplant-related mortality. Another new drug, dasatinib (marketed as Sprycel®; previously known as BMS-354825), which has a similar mechanism of action to imatinib but inhibiting a broader spectrum of tyrosine kinases, was approved by the U.S. FDA in June 2006 for use in patients with CML who are no longer responding to, or who can no longer tolerate, therapy with imatinib. [1] Pre-clinical research indicates that the anti-leukemic effect of dasatinib may be further enhanced by the addition of a small molecular inhibitor known as PD184352 [2] Various combinations of the different treatment modalities are being explored. In 2005 favourable results of vaccination were reported with the BCR/abl p210 fusion protein in patients with stable disease, with GM-CSF as an adjuvant.[8] Two other drugs, ceflatonin (homoharringtonine) and nilotinib (AMN 107) are currently in active clinical trials in patients with CML who have developed resistance to imatinib. [3]. [edit] Blast crisis Blast crisis carries all the symptoms and characteristics of either acute myelogenous leukemia or acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and has a very high mortality rate. This stage can most effectively be treated by a bone marrow transplant after high-dose chemotherapy. In young patients in the accelerated phase, a transplant may also be an option. However the likelihood of relapse after a bone marrow transplant is higher in patients in blast crisis or in the accelerated phase as compared to patients in the chronic phase.