Is it any wonder people have trouble learning English?

The spell check program within MS Word was obviously authorised by an American nerd. You guys don't seem to realise that you use your own unique version of the english language! I asked a question yesterday including the word "licence" and people were attempting to pick me up on the spelling I... show more The spell check program within MS Word was obviously authorised by an American nerd. You guys don't seem to realise that you use your own unique version of the english language!

I asked a question yesterday including the word "licence" and people were attempting to pick me up on the spelling I used for licence... insisting that I spell it "license".... well it may be news to some.. but they're two different words in the english language.. meaning distinctively different things!

Don't get me started on "colour"... or innumerable english words for which the USA has devised its own phonetic interpretation.

And grammar.... why can't I use "which" where the USA based nerd would insist that I use "that"?? I speak for the rest of the english speaking world when I say.... get a real education!

So... Is it any wonder people have difficulty learning English?
Update: hehe.. "I have a Builder's licence".... "I am licensed as a Builder" .... "I have a license to enter your premises"... as I said.. two distinct words.
Update 2: What?? I've got a clone!