Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 decade ago

Drawing nude people??? Myself?

OK I'm very on edge about drawing a naked person in my college drawing class this summer. Probably cuz I haven't seen one in person/public...just tv or whatever. But I'm gonna do it anyway...cuz everyone else is.

And today my teacher said we had to do a nude SELF portrait??? What?! Is that a normal assignment? It kinda goes against what I represent, I'm Muslim and I'm completely covered! like my face hands and feet are the only things that show. So understandably this is something I don't want to do. And theres like almost 20 people in my class and I am not comfortable with that.

BTW my teacher is a gay dude (how do I know he's gay? I have great gaydar)

Favorite Answer

I would definitely tell your teacher that you are uncomfortable with the assignment because of religious reasons. This isn't a very uncommon assignment for a really liberal school, but you school should accommodate your religious beliefs anyway. Ask him for an alternate assignment, and if he refuses, you may need to go over his head to someone more powerful. If you are embarrassed to ask him about it in person, a concerned e-mail might do the trick. Make it obvious that you aren't wanting to skip out on work because of laziness and you aren't trying to question his authority.

Gay or not that's an unacceptable expectation!

I would complain to the dean and ask for an alternative assignment. Tell him you'll draw yourself but not nude! If he grades you down for that, take it to board and the media. The school won't want the bad press.

That's just absurd. I'm a professional artist and as a Christian I don't even see the necessity to have the models nude in the first place. Why can't they at least wear a swimsuit? I've never needed to KNOW how to the draw the private parts of a body and if I did I would study it in private!

I'd drop the class and take it somewhere else.

Source(s): 20 years professional artist.

Its not an abnormal assignment. Many artists use themselves as a model pretty regularly anyway. But its not something you should have to do if you aren't comfortable with it.

Just have a talk with him. Be very polite, nicely explain that you understand the value of the assignment, but you can't go through with it for personal and religious reasons. I'm sure he'll be understanding.

Don't be confrontational or defensive, you want to stay on good terms with the mighty grade-giver. Just be firm.

If the worst case crops up and he gives you a hard time then yes, take it up with the board or someone over his head. I don't know where you go to school but I'm in a California Uni and its actually illegal for them to give you assignments that discriminate against your religion. That's why I can always get my Saturday tests rescheduled so easily. Your school might have a similar rule, check it out.

You might want to offer to fulfill the assignment in part, say a self-portrait with something more form-fitting but still modest and appropriate. Or maybe a close up of a single body part like your hands.

are you in college now or high school? If high school report the teacher.

If college talk to him about it. Or come up with a creative solution like draw yourself behind a plant or interpret it in a non litera way. for example instead of drawing yourself naked (which is against your values) do a symbolic naked drawing of yourself like... draw things which expose your vulnerable areas Or draw your face and use a black rectangle for the body to visually show you are opposed to such an assign ment. Perhaps using your creativity you can communicate your values without betraying them and at the same time submit a really cool and unique artwork interpreting the is assignment.

im muslim too nd i say u giv him an earful! im sure u can be able to draw someone else, and if he disagrees, u can take it up with a higher power! i no this sounds kinda over the top but, thats all i can tell yah.

hope that helps! :)