What is my Local Disk(D:) For?

My Local Disk (C:) has 10 GB left but my Local Disk (D:) has 96.1 GB left. Can I use my Local Disk (D:) to put some of my C files?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon J
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

More than likely whoever put your PC together partitioned the harddrive. Meaning they split the hard drive into different sections, and it looks like you have two drives (C:, D:). Use it for storing non-system files like music/pictures/personal programs/games etc. If you ever have an operating system issue it's easy just to reinstall it if all your system files are on one drive (C:) and all your personal stuff that you do not want to lose is on another drive (D:). Whenever you try to save or install something the computer will usually default to try to save/install to the C: drive. You can easily redirect these files to go to the D: drive by selecting it from the drop-down menu.

Seeing that your C: is far smaller than your D:, the manufacturer probably had that exact purpose in mind.

• 4 years ago

Local Disk

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if you haven't upgraded or bought the computer straight from the store then most likely its only one hard drive split into two partitions (2 parts). when companies first started shipping computers out with the hard drives split into two, the second disk or (D:) had the Operating System backup in case your computer messed up and usually was only large enough for the backup files. now days they split the hard drive into two equal partitions, why, i don't know. its stupid if you ask me.

(D:) is just used as a storage drive. yeah you can move files from your (C:) drive to the (D:) drive but only files you put up there like music, documents, pictures, etc. you can't put your system files or your program files over or it will mess your computer up.

however, you can delete the (D:) partition and extend the (C:) partition how ever many GB the (D:) was. that will make things less confusing. you need disk partitioning software to do that. paragon hard disk manager is a good program i use it and it works great.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is my Local Disk(D:) For?

My Local Disk (C:) has 10 GB left but my Local Disk (D:) has 96.1 GB left. Can I use my Local Disk (D:) to put some of my C files?

Source(s): local disk for: https://shortly.im/Jh4Yp
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Usually when you read the letters page in a newspaper they always print "for and against" sort of letters - and that's the way it should be. Nobody expects a paper to print all letters but as you say there should be a balanced view. As for a hate campaign - well, some people may well be spitting the vitriol - like numbnuts manoverboard does to the "anti McC" camp. But as I keep saying here - I don't HATE the McC's cos I don't know them - but I don't LIKE the fact that their actions led to the abduction of Madeleine. And I don't LIKE the fact that they are gaining celebrity status and possible wealth from this tragedy. I think the paper is very wrong if this is the situation.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AhP3S

Hoorah, the simpleton troll manoverboard is back with his usual intellectual contribution! The local newspaper is simply burying their heads in the sand like all pro-McCanns. Instead of intelligently addressing why many people wish to see the McCanns brought to justice, they just dismiss their views at a stroke with the meaningless words "hate campaign". Then they simply censor information - or in the case of manoverboard, attempt to block any viewpoints they don't like rather than discuss them.

• 1 decade ago

Its another hard drive.

It works the same, so yeah you can put whatever the hell you want on it.

Just dont go moving WINDOWS files to D:\.

Move your music/movies/pictures and stuff.

• 1 decade ago

Simple answer: Yes, you can store files in it.

You may just have two hard drives.

• 4 years ago

I'm interested in this

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.