1. What is the farthest distance you have driven in one day? (Aussies are famous for their huge distance commutes and travels).
2. Have you ever visited 16 European countries in 16 days? (It's an urban myth that Aussies regularly do this on their annual holidays).
3. Do you think Soccer will ever overtake Australian Rules football and Rugby League to become the major football code in Australia? (Since Australia's last entry into Soccer's world cup competion, the sport has really taken off. They added another two teams to Soccer's A-League in the last year alone).
4. Do you think Australia will ever become a republic? (Australians voted no at the last referendum, but it has been a hot potato for many years. Most will have an opinon on this issue).
5. Why is Australia's immigration and customs so very strict? (We only let people immigrate here who have skills we need, and we strictly control what goods come here to protect our unique wildlife and vegetation.).
6. Have you ever eaten Kangaroo or Emu meat, and what does it taste like? (This could open the door to further questions about Kangaroo culling and whether we should be eating our national icons).
7. Would you take a free holiday in Bali? (There were two major terrorist attacks on Aussies at Balinese resorts since 9/11).
8. Do you think the free trade agreement with the United States has been good for Australia?
9. Given the opportunity, would you climb Uluru (Ayres Rock)? (Uluru is a sacred Aboriginal site, like a church. The Aboriginal traditional owners request people not climb the rock, but they wont stop them. Their answer would reveal their level of tolerance and respect for the Aboriginal community).
8. Would you go out for an evening walk where you live? (The Aussie media makes a big deal out of every assault, riot or other incident involving gangs or race groups -most of which are one-of incidents. People from other countries might think this is an everyday occurrence. You might be surprised by his answer).
10. Have you ever been to the outback? (80% of Aussies live in urban areas. The vast majority have never wandered beyond their city limits).
11. Do you know the words to the Australian national anthem? (Most don't, and can probably recite the American national anthem better than their own).
12. Do you think Australia should join the European Union? (Most Aussies will blink twice at this question and immediately slot you into the "dumb yank" category. Many Americans confuse Australia with Austria, a European country. I would ask it anyhow purely for the thunderstruck reaction).
13. Do you think China should be allowed to have a majority stake ownership in Australian mining companies? (This is a double edged sword, we need the investment money but we don't like the idea of a communist country controlling important contributors to Australia's economy).
14. What is the stupidest thing you have heard an American say about Australia? (The answer will probably be "question 12").
15. Which airline would you feel the safest flying with on a holiday within Australia? (While Qantas (who also owns Jetstar) has the most enviable safety record in the world, in recent years the outsourcing of aircraft maintenance to developing Asian countries and several incidents over Australian skys, has led to questions about domestic airline safety).