Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first....?

the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second, the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it.

Edward Dowling.

What do you think of this quote?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's a good one. But you could add "the all-pervasive power to bribe elected officials with anything and everything to get them on board with corporate desires". And that of the national media to "smooth the way."

Source(s): A Voter.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not much! The Founding Fathers of our country gave us a Representative Democracy within a Republic and it is the residue of Republic that has alowed this country to last this long! Remember that Rome was a Republic that lasted in one form or another nearly 2000 years! The bankrupt theory that our Constitution is a 'living document' is being used to promote our once great Republic as a degenerate Democracy. Before the 17th Amendment was passed, Senators were appointed by the Legislatures of the States rather than elected by the people. Because they were political appointees they could be 'Elder Statesmen [women]' and could be objective in the consideration of Bills. In theory, no lobbyists or PACs could bribe them and if they tried they could all be dealt with as the criminals they wohld be! Now, since the passage of the 17th Amendment, Senators are beholding to the fickle whims of the people whose vote they must get to be re-elected: a necessarily degenerate Democracy! The lobbyists and PACs offer buckets of money to help them get that vote! Democracy is always degenerate because people vote to support their own motivated self interest or what the demagogue, lobbyist or PAC of the minute has convinced them is their motivated self interest and so is reduced to its lowest common denominator ie. 'Mob Rule'! Democracy is a necessarily degenerate form of government and now we have horribly misguided people calling for the abolition of the Electorial College thus sweeping away the last vestage of Republic! Our country was designed and intended as a Republic back in 1787 and if we can return to what the Founding Fathers gave us we could last as long as Rome!

• 1 decade ago

Disagree. Though the rich may be able to sway politics to some extent, politicians still have to answer to the people they govern. The key is to stay informed...although sometimes this is not as easy as it should be.

The biggest obstacle to democracy in the United States is, in my opinion, the immense power of the United States government.

If I had to pin down the second biggest obstacle, I would say the ignorance of the general population. Sheep are easier to lead astray than wolves.

For the moment we still have a democracy, but as the government's power rises and freedoms vanish under our feet, I'm not sure that it could last us through a major crisis.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

using information can teach something. we are able to no longer arise with the money for to be parochial or biased yet believe in function. some languages final long, some fade away like Latin and Sanskrit. So, whilst we can not arise with the money for to ignore approximately interior sight languages or Hindi, we of course can not, repeat can not tension it down our electorate' throats. It ought to be frequently happening from interior their hearts and minds and has no longer something to do with team spirit. One can not tension feed team spirit; this too has come from interior ourselves. people's basic desires like food, shelter and ability of livelihood come first. purely solid governance can gain this. If all of us is frequently happy and contented, language isn't a controversy for unification which besides is degraded by using politicians as a fashion of divisive politics. So, the well-liked path is English, we live in globalized worldwide networked by using English. this is an hassle-free actuality. the way forward is inculcate a feeling of English between all so as flow hyperlink each and every physique to the worldwide and discover their own area of interest to prosperity. Please be conscious that i'm no longer a Hindi phobic. i'm merely giving a various financial oriented perception.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think it is apt.

although, I'd say "poor and misinformed", because I know plenty of people who are not poor and think we live in a democracy. Truth is, the founding fathers were terrified of the idea of flat out democracy.

• Bleh!
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Participation and liberals. Namely liberals use the cluelessness of the sheep to dominate. If they participated they would see the problems instead of just doing what they were told.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think Dowling was right on the money

• whimsy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Religion and Money

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.