Why won't my chainsaw stay running?

I am trying to get my inlaws chainsaw running after it sat for a year or so. The gas was completely changed out, and Im pretty sure the mixture was right on, but it wouldn't start. After removing the carburetor and cleaning, it did finally start. However it will only run with the choke engaged, any movement of the choke and it immediately stalls out.

Any suggestions?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem for sure. Start with a clean air filter, then do the carb again.

-This time, make sure to use compressed air to blow out every orifice in the body. If you don't use compressed you are wasting your time.

-Replace the pulse type fuel pump diaphragms and gaskets with the appropriate kit. CHANGE THE STRAINER on the end of the fuel line also. It flops around in the tank on the end of the fuel line, and can easily be grabbed and pulled out for replacement with a small wire that has a hook bend in it. Splurge on a new, properly gapped spark plug just for grins.

-If you have Low and High speed adjustment screws (they are labeled L & H), adjust the HIGH SPEED FIRST.

To do this, turn BOTH screws clockwise until they are GENTLY seated. DO NOT DAMAGE THE SOFT BRASS SCREWS OR SEATS!!! Now, turn them approx 1-1/2 turns counter-clockwise each. This will be a rough starting point for you to begin.

-With the saw running and warmed up as well as you can get it, bring the saw to FULL THROTTLE. Turn the HIGH SPEED adjustment screw one way until it misbehaves and make a mental note of it's position. Then turn it the other way until it misbehaves. Adjust screw half way between these positions.

-Move on to the LOW SPEED adjustment, and repeat the same procedure at low R.P.M.'s.

Source(s): 40 years a mechanic.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The chain lube should be changed to a lighter oil so that it flows freely. When the saw stalls is it warmed up? If it is cold it could act this way. If it is warmed up and still stalls I would look at the fuel system. There should be a filter on the end of the supply line in the fuel tank. Make sure it is clean or change it. If that doesn't solve the issue it may be that the carburetor needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. Also make sure that you are using fresh gas and the mix is correct. If the carburetor has adjustable jets try turning the low speed jet open a quarter turn. That may help the transition from low to high speed.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

RE:

Why won't my chainsaw stay running?

I am trying to get my inlaws chainsaw running after it sat for a year or so. The gas was completely changed out, and Im pretty sure the mixture was right on, but it wouldn't start. After removing the carburetor and cleaning, it did finally start. However it will only run with the choke engaged,...

Source(s): won 39 chainsaw stay running: https://tr.im/V1Sgtwhy-won-39-t-my-chainsaw-stay-r...
  • 1 decade ago

diaphragm sticky from old gas, buy a rebuild kit for it. also check the fuel line/filter in tank and make sure you blow all the little passages clean on the carb body when rebuilding it. that diaphragm does not have to be very stiff to ruin your efforts. if the lever that touches it has a dent/sharp edge worn in it id buy a full kit but if only the diaphragm is sticky then just the diaphragms will do.

the H and L needles do need to be set right but unless someone messed with them before thats not very likely. about 1-1.5 turns out on both is a good start though to begin with. you might just try readjusting the needles but i can almost guarantee you will buy a diaphragm for it regardless. when its adjusted well the engine should scream at wide open throttle but sputter intermittently. idle should be smooth and should have sharp throttle response.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Husqvarna Chainsaw Won T Start

• 4 years ago

That's not totally true

• renpen
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The most common problem is the carburetor. The diaphrams go bad over time. You can get a rebuild kit for around $15.00.

• 1 decade ago

Jim hit it right on the head it sounds like the high-low speed adjustment screws .

• 1 decade ago

Check the spark plug. Could be dirty and/or corroded. clean it with a wire brush but I would replace it all together.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I've no idea what to say

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.