Would carbon sequestration efforts into the ocean disturb aquatic ecosystems?

This has been a supposed method of curbing global warming. I cannot find literature on how it would influence the viability of underwater ecosystems.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • FA
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Firstly let me clear up one thing, by carbon sequestration I assume that you are referring to CCS. Now, in brief CCS involves capturing carbon dioxide and pumping it into old oil and gas fields. It is pumped directly into the reservoir rock and therefore, assuming nothing goes wrong with the pipe, never comes into contact with the marine environment.

Obviously there are potential problems with pipe rupturing and other such events but in reality these are no different from issues already present in marine drilling programmes. All carbon storage is through, as I said previously, old oil and gas fields and maybe saline aquifers so the equipment will not disturb ecosystems further. As the gas never enters the ecosystem (in theory) then it won't have an effect.

The only major issue at this time is the lack of reliable equipment in place to monitor potential leakage.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It would increase marine plant growth. The oceans naturally do carbon sequestering every day. As the marine plants grow they absorb carbon dioxide. Much of the plant matter sinks to the bottom when the plant dies and the carbon remains there in ever increasing layers until the sea bottom moves and brings it back onto dry land.

Adding additional carbon dioxide to the sea will increase plant growth further. It could result in the seas being choked with plant matter, the seashores being inundated with dead kelp and such. It also could increase the food available to fish, increasing the size and number of fish available in the oceans.

The problem is that we simply do not know all the effects of carbon sequestering. It could be a wonderful thing that benefits the entire planet or it could be another disaster like so many other efforts at controlling the environment. Frankly, it frightens me that we are considering something like that to control something that we do not know is man made or controllable. A lot more data is needed before we can even decide if global climate change is something we should even be tampering with.

• 3 years ago

i do no longer think of the salt we consume is the comparable salt in the sea. i think of the salt in the sea is from minerals or something like that. i comprehend that if the freshwater/ saltwater ratio is altered it could substitute the atmosphere in some way. it can result the climate and the existence that lives in the sea. If the salt point gets particularly severe i'm helpful that is not any longer solid for the fish and different animals that use the water. So i think of your Mama is acceptable

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.