In Penny Royal Tea Cobain sings give me a leonard cohen afterworld so i can sigh eternally what does this m?

I'm wondering what the line means? who was leonard cohen and what was this "afterworld" cobain speaks of? i always thought it said "leonard cohen afterword", like a final note upon his life or a tombstone engraving.

• raysny
    Best Answer

Leonard Cohen was an artist that influenced many. He wrote the much covered song "Hallelujah".

"Leonard Norman Cohen, CC, GOQ (born September 21, 1934 in Westmount, Quebec) is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician, poet, novelist, and artist. Cohen published his first book of poetry in Montreal in 1956 and his first novel in 1963. His work often deals with the exploration of religion, isolation, sexuality and complex interpersonal relationships.

Musically, Cohen's earliest songs (many of which appeared on the 1967 album, Songs of Leonard Cohen) were rooted in European folk music. In the 1970s, his material encompassed pop, cabaret and world music. Since the 1980s his high baritone voice has evolved into lower registers (bass baritone and bass), with accompaniment from electronic synthesizers and female backing singers.

Over two thousand renditions of Cohen's songs have been recorded. He has been inducted into both the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame and is also a Companion of the Order of Canada, the nation's highest civilian honour. While giving the speech at his induction into the American Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, 2008, Lou Reed described Cohen as belonging to the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cohen

From "HALLELUJAH: 70 THINGS ABOUT LEONARD COHEN AT 70"

#55 There was a show at Edinburgh last month about Kurt Cobain, called Leonard Cohen Afterworld. The title came from the Nirvana song Pennyroyal Tea: "Give me Leonard Cohen afterworld/ So I can sigh eternally."

#56 Cohen said of Cobain after his death: "I'm sorry I couldn't have spoken to the young man. I see a lot of people at the Zen Centre, who have gone through drugs and found a way out that is not just Sunday school. There are always alternatives, and I might have been able to lay something on him."

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/timdelisle.html

"Cohen cooler than ever"

By JAMES REANEY

Canadian icon Leonard Cohen probably had us when he doffed his hat. When he lofted that fedora for the first time last night, he still had about three hours to go -- and he didn't waste a minute.

Last night, 4,800 fans gave Cohen the rock hero's welcome at the John Labatt Centre during his first London concert in many years.... At 74, Cohen is even cooler than he was when he released his first album more than 40 years ago. He was already a major Canadian poet and novelist before he began making records in the late 1960s. Judging by the boomer-strong crowd last night, many of the fans first loved Cohen then.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Today/Music/2009/05/25...

That review was written 3 days ago, Mon, May 25, 2009. He's still in the game.

I've heard the identify acknowledged however on no account looked at his track. When I noticed the caption in your query I used to be considering, what is this doing in R&P? I concept Cohen wrote songs for Big Band track? Then I noticed the way you confirmed his paintings being utilized by men and women in rock. Maybe I must investigate his track out. Have a whats up Harvey.