Can a landlord charge a non-refundable "Cleaning Fee"?

I live in the city of Los Angeles, CA. I rented an apartment and during the lease agreement and deposits I learned the landlord charges a non-refundable "cleaning fee" to each tenant. I asked specifically if the charge still applies if I pay or clean the apartment upon move out. I was told it did not... show more I live in the city of Los Angeles, CA. I rented an apartment and during the lease agreement and deposits I learned the landlord charges a non-refundable "cleaning fee" to each tenant. I asked specifically if the charge still applies if I pay or clean the apartment upon move out. I was told it did not matter. That did not seem right to me, so I did some research but I am unclear. According to landlord-tenant law, the court recognizes ANY monies charged above the monthly rent as "security deposit." It does not matter that the landlord calls it "cleaning fee", "pet fee", "key fee", etc. So, from a legal stand point, the monies I paid are lumped into my security deposit. The law also says the landlord has to prove any security deposit withheld was used for whatever (typically in an itemized letter with reciepts). Finally, any "cleaning" charged must only be to get to apartment up to the condition prior to move in. So, I think if I pay or clean the apartment myself at least to the condition it was in, the non-refundable fee is illegal. Do you agree with this logic, or have you had other experiences?
Update: I forgot to say it is a $200 fee. Thanks for your quick answers!