Name for soulless, homogeneous "art"?

Name for soulless, homogeneous "art"? I just read this short story by Lloyd Biggle Jr. called "tunesmith" where music as an art from has been forgotten and music and song only exist in the context of commercials. When music as art is rediscovered and it's rediscovered how powerfully art can... show more Name for soulless, homogeneous "art"?
I just read this short story by Lloyd Biggle Jr. called "tunesmith" where music as an art from has been forgotten and music and song only exist in the context of commercials. When music as art is rediscovered and it's rediscovered how powerfully art can effect people the comerical companies try to stop it.

Now tonight I'm watching "so you think you can dance" on TV and it got me thinking about the future of art. No matter what style of dance each of the contestants does, there's this generic, soulless style of dance that permeates throughout. None of it makes me feel anything. It's the same if I watch "american idol". They call some of the singers "rockers" or "bluesy" but there's an emotionlessness in all the performances.

Is there a name for this homogeneous, soulless art style? It seems like whatever it is is kind of a recent development. even shitty pop from past decades had some soul in it. I hope I explained myself well.

What's happening to art?! Is this just a phase?! Someone let me know everything will be ok!