Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
Christians in Entertainment?
And I don't mean the conservatives who go around giving the Faith a bad name by condemning people, rather than doing what the Bible says about loving one another as you would love yourself (yes Virginia, there ARE Liberal Christians).
But anyway, what I was wondering is this - again I'm a Christian myself, and I'm in entertainment (amateur for a while, slowly working into it professionally), but it seems like outside of like VeggieTales and televised sermons on public access cable networks that Christians in entertainment are few and far between. I've heard that the late Jim Varney (Ernest P. Worrell) was a Christian, and that his last words before he died were "I want to go home (Heaven), I'm ready." Reading The Complete Book of M*A*S*H, Gary Burghoff (Radar O'Reilly) mentioned how his decision to leave the show because of burnout was based on his Faith. I understand Pauley Perrette (NCIS) is a Christian as well. I've heard rumors that Tom Bergeron (everybody's favorite TV host) was Catholic, but reading his book, he says he's agnostic.
Again, just curious as to who other Christians in entertainment are; I remember hearing of an inspirational book of anecdotes from Christian celebrities (including Gary Burghoff) was in the works years ago, but I don't believe it ever was released.
Impressive lists from everybody; I feel bad I almost forgot about the likes of Andy Griffith and Stephen Baldwin, though I am surprised to see certain names on the lists - I always had assumed Tom Hanks and Olivia Newton-John were Scientologists, while at the same time I thought Jack Nicholson was Jewish, lol.
I like all the answers for this question, so I think I'll let others vote for the best.
- KatrinaPLv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
I guess a big one right now is Kirk Cameron. His sister Candace is also Christian. TD Jakes is a preacher, but has also produced "Woman Thou art Looosed" and "Not Easily Broken". Tony Dungee, the coach, is Christian.
Oh well actually, here you go, I just googled it.
Willie Aames - former actor ("Eight is Enough") turned "Bibleman"
Corbin Allred - actor, "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"; "Teen Angel"
Billy Barty - actor, famed "Little People" activist, "Willow"
Jusine Bateman - actress
Gary Burghoff - actor ("Radar O'Reilly" on M.A.S.H.)
Gary Busey - actor
Kirk Cameron - actor, "Growing Pains"
Carl Clarfalio - actor ("The Thing" in Corman's FF film)
Lacey Chabert - Actress from "Party of Five"
Anna Chlumsky - Actress
Deezer D - Actor on "E.R.", Christian rapper
Anne B. Davis - "Alice" on the Brady Bunch
Clifton Davis - movie star
Hazel Dawn - movie star
Laraine Day - movie star
Mark Deakins - actor ("Star Trek: Insurrection", Axum on "Star Trek: Voyager")
Donna Douglas - actress ("Ellie May Clampett" on "Beverly Hillbillies")
Roma Downey - actress on "Touched by an Angel"
Robert Duvall - actor
Aaron Eckhart - movie star ("The Pledge", "Erin Brockovich", "Possession", etc.)
Dale Evans (1912-2001) - actress
Kim Fields - actor, "Facts of Life"
Rhonda Fleming - movie star
Mel Gibson - movie star
Ryan Gosling - actor ("The Believer", Hercules on "Young Hercules")
Andy Griffith - actor, "Andy Griffith Show"
Charlton Heston - actor, "The Ten Commandments"
Tom Hanks - movie star
Dean Jagger - movie star (Academy Award for "Twelve O'Clock High", etc.)
Dean Jones - movie star
Danny Kamekona - actor (popular Hawaiian actor; "Hawaii 5-O"; Miyagi's rival "Sato" in "Karate Kid II")
Richard Kiel - actor; Jaws in The Spy Who Loved Me; Moonraker
Carol Lawrence - singer/dancer/actress, once married to Robert Goulet
Olivia Newton-John - popular Australian-born singer, actress
Bruce Marchiano - actor, Jesus in The Gospel According to Matthew
Gavin McLeod - actor, Captain Stubing on The Love Boat
Terry Moore - Academy Award-nominated actress (Come Back, Little Sheba, etc.)
Tia and Tamer Mowry - Actresses on Sister Sister
Robert Newman - actor
Chuck Norris - actor, "Walker Texas Ranger"
Austen O'Brian - actor on Promised Land
Merlin Olsen - football player, actor (Little House on the Prairie; Aaron's Way)
Jennifer O'Neill - actor
Donny Osmond and Marie Osmond - popular singers, TV show hosts
Kelly Packard - Wonder Years; Blossom; Step By Step; Baywatch; Boy Meets World
Austin Peck - Soap Opera actor
Pat Priest - actress ("Marilyn Munster" on The Munsters TV show; Easy Come, Easy Go w/Elvis Presley)
Della Reese - actress, "Touched by an Angel"
Judge Reinhold - actor
Fred Rogers - "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood"
Roy Rogers (1911-1998) - TV star
Mickey Rooney - actor
Jane Russell - movie star
John Schneider - actor, "The Dukes of Hazzard", founder, FaithWorks!
Connie Seleca - actress
Nancy Stafford - actress, Matlock; MacGyver
David Suchet - actor ("Hercule Poirot" on the PBS series Mystery)
Mr T. - Actor
Russ Tamblyn - actor (Peyton Place, West Side Story, etc.)
Ben Vereen - Actor
Paul Walker - movie star (Varsity Blues, Meet the Deedles, The Fast and the Furious, etc.)
Robert Walker - actor (Strangers on a Train, etc.)
Lisa Whelchel - actress, The Facts of Life
Johnny Whitaker - actor, Family Affair
Demond Wilson - actor, Lamont Sanford
Marie Windsor - movie star
Elijah Wood - actor
Heather Young - TV star, Land of Giants
Loretta Young - movie star (Best Actress Academy Award for The Farmer's Daughter)Source(s): www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_christian.html
- Anonymous5 years ago
Good question. There are those who believe that you should not waste any time on movies, books, fiction. This would include Evangelical movies, books, fiction etc. The problem is school; you have to read for schooling, don't you? My own argument about reading fiction, seeing movies, etc is: As a Christian (follower of Christ, etc) I want my children to be able to discern right from wrong. If we watch Harry Potter, what is bad from these books movies? What is GOOD from these movies? This takes a lot of patience and hard work but in my opinion (again, this does not reflect all Christians), I would rather have my children be able to reason and exercise critical thinking than sheltered from the world.
- MeLv 51 decade ago
Denzel Washington, Mel Gibson (Catholic),Victoria Jackson (of SNL)
- SldgmanLv 71 decade ago
The following are Catholic Christians
- Robert Alda - actor, movie star, father of actor Alan Alda
- Gracie Allen - actress, comedian, TV star, partner and wife of George Burns
- Robert Altman - acclaimed film director whose movies include M*A*S*H; Nashville
- Eve Arden - actress, movie star, Academy Award nomination for supporting role in the Mildred Pierce (1945)
- Adele Astaire - sister and former on-stage dancing partner of Fred Astaire (she had a Catholic father, Lutheran mother)
- Stephen Baldwin - actor
- Anne Bancroft - Oscar-winning actor, The Miracle Worker (1962)
- Ethel Barrymore - actress
- John Barrymore - actor
- Lionel Barrymore - actor
- Bono - lead singer for Irish rock band U2; humanitarian (father was a lapsed Catholic)
- Ernest Borgnine - actor; McHale's Navy, Marty, etc.
- Luis Bunuel - influential Spanish film director
- Nicolas Cage - Oscar-winning actor, Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
- James Cagney - Oscar-winning actor, Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
- Karel Capek - prominent Czech writer, playwright, novelist, philosopher; coined the word "robot"
- Frank Capra - director, It's a Wonderful Life; etc.
- Jim Caviezel - actor; played "Jesus" in Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ
- G. K. Chesterton - author, theologian (convert)
- Gary Cooper - actor, movie star (convert)
- Claudette Colbert - actress, movie star
- Sean Connery - movie star
- Roger Corman - prolific independent film producer/director
- Jeanne Coyne - dancer
- Joan Crawford - actress, movie star
- Bing Crosby - actor, singer, movie star
- Salvador Dali - Surrealist painter (convert)
- Leonardo da Vinci - artist, scientist, inventor
- Edgar Degas - famous French painter
- Francisco De Goya - famous Spanish painter
- Eugene Delacroix - famous French painter
- Patty Duke - actress
- Faye Dunaway - Oscar-winning actor, Network (1976)
- Irene Dunne - actress
- Albrecht Durer - famous German painter
- Joe Eszterhas - screenwriter
- Noel Farrand - composer
- James T. Farrell - American novelist; Studs Lonigan trilogy, etc.
- Mia Farrow - actress, former wife of Woody Allen
- Joey Fatone - singer with boy band N'Sync
- Federico Fellini - influential Italian film director
- Robert Flaherty - influential documentary filmmaker, Nanook of the North, etc. (half Catholic, half Protestant)
- John Ford - influential American film director, particularly known for classic Westerns
- Clark Gable - Oscar-winning actor, It Happened One Night (1934)
- Charles Gounod - French composer, wrote the opera Faust
- Alec Guinness - Oscar-winning actor, The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957)
- Arlo Guthrie - American folk singer (convert)
- John Lee Hancock - film director; The Rookie, etc.
- Josh Hartnett - actor, movie star
- Helen Hayes - actress
- Susan Hayward - Oscar-winning actor, I Want to Live! (1958)
- Edith Head - influential Hollywood costume designer
- Alfred Hitchcock - influential film director
- Agnieszka Holland - film director; The Third Miracle, etc.
- Bob Hope - movie star, comedian
- Casey Kasem - nationally prominent Top 10 D.J.
- John T. Kelley - TV writer
- Gene Kelly - actor, dancer, movie star
- Grace Kelly - Oscar-winning actor, The Country Girl (1954)
- Mary Kelly - dancer
- Nicole Kidman - actress
- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa - author of influential novel The Leopard (1958)
- Vivien Leigh - Oscar-winning actor, Gone With the Wind (1939), A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
- Jack Lemmon - movie star
- Edouard Manet - famous French painter
- Dean Martin - movie star
- Henri Matisse - famous French painter
- Gerda Maurus - Croatian actress based in Vienna
- Leo McCarey - influential filmmaker
- Georges Melies - early filmmaker
- Mike Mignola - comic book artist; creator of Hellboy
- Michelangelo - Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni was a famous Italian painter, artist, sculptor
- Walter M. Miller, Jr. - science fiction writer
- Cathy Moriarty - actress
- Gerald Morin - film director/producer
- Bill Murray - comedian, actor
- Patricia Neal - actress
- Bob Newhart - popular TV sitcom actor, comedian
- Jack Nicholson - actor
- Al Pacino - Oscar-winning actor, Scent of a Woman (1992)
- Gregory Peck - actor
- Bernadette Peters - singer, actress
- Walker Percy - author (convert)
- Pablo Picasso - (1881-1973) famous painter
- Alexander Pope - poet and satirist
- Thomas Pynchon - influential author, Gravity's Rainbow, The Crying of Lot 49; etc.
- Raphael - famous Italian painter
- Jean Renoir - film director
- Pierre-Auguste Renoir - influential French Impressionist painter
- Anne Rice - gothic vampire novelist
- Eric Rohmer - film director
- Roberto Rossellini - film director
- Pierre Roustang - French filmmaker
- Peter Paul Rubens - (1577-1640) Flemish baroque painter
- Ken Russell - film director
- Rosalind Russell - actress
- Susan Sarand