Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro PWM or Scythe Katana III?

Hello,

I'm looking towards upgrading my current computer, and have decided that I'd buy a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G) and a new cooler for the CPU to go with it.

I'll be putting my current CPU (Intel C2D E4400 2GHz) on this new motherboard, and I'll be needing a cooling solution so that I can start doing some overclocking on it (which is impossible with my current board). I hope to reach 3GHz, though anything extra would be well appreciated.

All of this is going into an Antec Nine Hundred Two case, with only the stock fans installed.

I'm on a tight budget with this upgrade, so I'd rather not have the cooler go above 20 euros - the Katana III is 19 euros and the Freezer 7 Pro is 15 euros. I have two nice blue LED 92mm fans that I'd like to use at least one of on the cooler I'd purchase.

Ease of installation is something I'd value, though as long as I can install and remove the cooler without breaking something I'll be happy. I don't care much about cooling surrounding parts, as my case has a good airflow going on anyways.

So... What cooler should I pick? And why? Thanks in advance!

How does the "Cooler Master Hyper TX 2" size up? Also cheap, and looks pretty good, though I've yet to look up any reviews.

Can you replace the Freezer's stock fan?

Best Answer

I have the AC Freezer 7 Pro, and it has worked well, let me overclock a Q6600 effortlessly from 2.4 to 3GHz. Very easy to install. Huge number of rave reviews on Newegg.com.

The Freezer 7 is fairly quiet, but I did replace it with a quieter (and more expensive) Asus Triton 77 since my case has a side fan.

The Scythe 3 looks to be of higher quality, might be worth the money. Probably won't get you to 3GHz stably, though.

3gHz on an E4xxx chip is asking a lot, but if you're going to do it then the Katana III should keep it a few degrees cooler than the ACF7Pro