how to Format a flash drive?

This is my first time using this thing so I don't know any thing about it as much easy to understand information would be great I did not get any directions when I got it so it was all about guessing. I have a 2 GB flash drive I put some music onto it I put it in the stereo in the car it was working good I tried to put some more music onto it but it would not put the other music onto it but the stereo would just count the songs backwards and not play any of it about how many should 2 Gig hold and how would I format it or is just stuffed now. Easy words please thank you in advance. I hope I put this in the right area

oh I forgot I am running windows xp

Favorite Answer

Insert your pen drive to your computer.

Go to My Computer > Right click the removable disc > click on format > Select quick format and press the format button.

(Applicable for Windows only)

1 Start your computer and plug in the flash drive in the USB port.

2 Click on "My Computer." Click on "Manage" in the "Explorer" window of "My Computer."

3 Open the "Device Manager" and locate your USBDrive installed under the "Disk Drives" tab. Right click on "Removable Disk Drive" and click on "Properties" from the menu.

4 Click on the "Policies" tab and choose "Optimize for Performance" from the options. Click "OK" and continue.

5 Click on "My Computer" and choose the format on the flash drive.

6 Choose "NTFS" or "FAT32" depending on the type you want from the dropdown menu box.

7 Click "OK" to complete the format.

8 Know the other method: Search for tools that allow easy format of flash drives over the Internet. GParted is a formatting tool that you can download from the Internet. Install GParted on your computer. Restart your computer and browse "System: Administration: Gnome Partition Editor."

9 Plug in your flash drive and start GParted. Login with password information.

10 Select the flash drive from the dropdown menu in the upper right window of the GParted interface. The list contains all the storage hardware installed on your computer.

11 Right click on the display of the drive icon and choose the "Format to" option along with the file system type you wish to format (FAT32, FAT16 and so on).

Hope it helps you. For more information http://www.iyogi.net/

Well a 2GB flash drive can hold about 1253 Mp3 songs. It can hold lesser or more than that depends on the format. Also you can format it whne you have installed to your computer then right click the icon then click the format tab then it'll format it then.

insert it in USB port go to my computer it should show as an extra drive right click on it then click format and follow.

Insert it in USB slot of computer.

Right click the icon and select Format.

Click ok.