Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Why do the U.S, government offices hire mainly non-citizens here?

I am in the Philippines and am having a rough time with the U.S. Embassy and Social Security.

I can't find an American to talk to when I have a problem or need something done.

Even a simple application for a U.S. citizen born abroad has turned into a big ordeal.

The problem arises when they insist on talking to my wife instead of me and she knows little of such affairs.

They also insist on speaking to her in Tagalog, which she understands very little of, so nothing seems to get done.

I have complained to the States, but they say their people here are not only required to be hired by the U.S. government, but also understand/speak English as well as any American.

I have not run into that at all, as they say they can't understand me and I can't understand most of them.

Wouldn't it make more sense to hire U.S. citizens anyway, as we have to give a lot of sensitive information such as bank account #'s and Social Security #'s to them?

Also, with work being so hard to find, I would think that U.S. citizens would be a better choice for these jobs over foreigners.

I don't dare post this in the Philippine section, as they have a big fit and report such things so nobody sees them there, very rude (some of them).

• TJ9
    Favorite Answer

Cheap labor and less benefits.

Dunno about that. That sucks. Anyways, here in Kuala Lumpur or in Singapore the US Embassy people are US Citizen.

Yeah i agree with you cheap labor and less benifits.