You might, know of, the original sin and you might know how to play with fire; but did you know…?

…of the murder committed, in the name of love (yeah) you thought ‘what a pity’?

Michael Hutchence…RIP. Such a shame that such a talented man chose to end his life early. But I was wondering what your take on the first line is; do you think that two opposite options are being presented for your consideration? The two options are, ‘you might know of the original sin’ and ‘you might know how to play with fire.’ Do you think this is meant to indicate that some people choose to believe in a religious explanation for the origin of humanity, one that is without evidence and held in place with faith and this is represented with ‘original sin’ whilst some people choose to believe in a rational scientific explanation for the origin of humanity that is supported by evidence and this is represented with ‘play with fire’ which is what rational people believe heavily contributed to enabling cavemen to rise above animals?

I know it’s not wise to look too deeply into the meaning of lyrics in pop songs, especially pop songs from the 80’s, but I was just wondering what other people’s observations are regarding this…

Favorite Answer

I have climbed highest mountains

I have run through the fields

Only to be with you

Only to be with you

I have run

I have crawled

I have scaled these city walls

These city walls

Only to be with you

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

Talented but very self destructive. Have you seen "Dogs in Space"? I suspect there's more than a hint of biopic there.

Your use of metaphor is a good one. 'Original sin' could indeed be an ironic representation of this fall into irrationalism, while fire and its use was clearly a very major aspect to humans' development when they left the warmth of the rift valley.

However, I suspect that Hutchence's mind probably didn't take that journey itself!

Hutchence or the lyrics of INXS have nothing to do with my belief in God, sorry

Are you quoting a song by a man who killed himself?

I don't get this question???

huh?