Mary Poppins - you know the joke " i know a man with a wooden leg "?

what does it mean ? i've tried over and over to understand the meaning as to why it is so funny .. . but i still don't get it .

here's the joke :

there are two men and one man goes " i know a man with a wooden leg named smith " and the other says " what's the name of the other leg? "

helllpp ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I know a man named Smith who has a wooden leg.

But he named it Jones.

I also have a friend who has a dog with no legs. He named the dog cigarette. Every night he takes it out for a drag.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's a joke based on a misplaced modifier. The phrase "named Smith" should describe the man, not the leg.

So the sentence, in correct English, should be:

"I know a man named Smith, with a wooden leg."

But by placing "named Smith" in the wrong place:

"I know a man with a wooden leg, named Smith."

It seems (to the other person) like the leg is named Smith, not the man (since the name is closer to the noun "leg" than it is to the noun "man")

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When they said "I know a man with a wooden leg named Smith" it could be perceived either that the MAN's name was Smith, or that his wooden leg's name was Smith. So that's why they said "What's the name of his other leg?" Cause they thought they meant the leg was called Smith.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Mary Poppins - you know the joke " i know a man with a wooden leg "?

what does it mean ? i've tried over and over to understand the meaning as to why it is so funny .. . but i still don't get it .

here's the joke :

there are two men and one man goes " i know a man with a wooden leg named smith " and the other says " what's the...

Source(s): mary poppins joke quot man wooden leg quot: https://biturl.im/DoRaG
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Peg Leg Jokes

• Karen
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awwig

As usual very good, but it reminds me of the young officer posted to the NW frontier and reports the the regimental HQ at Poona for acclimatisation. Colonel..Welcome to the regiment, Carruthers isn't it? Carruthers, yes sir, thank you sir. Colonel, well Carruthers we have a very active mess life here, plenty to do, Mondays and Tuesdays we play polo all day. Carruthers..Sorry sir, don't ride a horse, never learnt. Colonel, Well never mind, Wednesday and Thursday we stay in the mess bar and get totally blinders on the old gin what? Carruthers...Sorry sir, don't drink, I'm teetotal, promised mummy before I left Blighty. Colonel, Hmmmm, still, never mind, Fridays and Saturday we get the local harlots in from the town and have a jolly good 2 day orgy what? Carruthers...Sorry sir, don't want to go with the local girls sir, mummy said I shouldn't. Colonel, Well I'll be damned, I say, your not batting for the other side or anything like that are you? Carruthers..No sir, I am jolly well not. Colonel, Hmmm, pity, your not going to like Sundays either are you?

• Pamela
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Now that is funny..I didn't see the Punch line coming 5 stars...

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Source(s): Prevent Hair Loss http://enle.info/HowToStopHairLoss/?vWUs
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.