Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should the constitution be re written?

This is not a left or right issue that I am asking about..I just wonder..The world around us has changed greatly since the constitution was written....Women can vote...no more segregation of races..gays are allowed to get married ( in some states)..so isn't it time we update the constitution..?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The constitution does not protect us anymore. Bush* took away our 4th amendment right against illegal search and seizure. The 10th amendment has been gone for a long time, as evidenced by the raids on the medical marijuana facilities in California and federal laws banning assisted suicide. Even the 1st amendment is hanging on by a thread. The only one that's safe is the 2nd amendment, and that's the one cons are worried about.

• 5 years ago

It is possible a president can ignore the constitution but no President can rewrite the constitution. That is the per view of the congress and the Supreme court. There is talk sometimes of an activist court rewriting the constitution but with a conservative court I doubt that will be a problem. And congress may rewrite some of the constitution but not likely seeing the Dems are set to loose seats this go round. So basically they don't know what they are talking about. To recap the President may be able to ignore the constitution if he is popular enough which now that Obama is under 50% approval he is not but he never could re write it.

• 1 decade ago

Obama seems to think that the constitution should be rewritten to reflect what we see today.

I disagree with him on this, I find it remarkable that more than 230 years ago our founders seemed to have so much wisdom about the future.

We have the ability to amend the constitution which would require a vote of all the people of the US before it is ratified.

We have had many of our brave men and women die in defense of our current constitution, if it were rewritten should all of our military be able to get out of the service since their vow to defend the constitution may be different than what they originally agreed to ?

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The amendment process is the vehicle by which the Constitution is 'updated'. It also remains viable because of the ability of judges to interpret the document in order to apply it to situations not envisioned by the Founders and the Constitutional Convention in the late 1700's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

actually, president reagan made that exact call shortly before he left office. he felt it was time to "undo the mistakes" our founding fathers made when they ratified the bill of rights.

no one paid much attention to him at that time, either.

we have it within our means to update the constitution. the process is called "amending". the founding fathers deliberately included this feature as a mechanism for peaceful change.

• 1 decade ago

so far it seems it does not matter congress has ignored the constitution for the last 50 years, so why waste the ink on a new one? and lets not even start with the current puppet i mean president.

• 1 decade ago

H#ll no. We need to following it, which we have been turn away from more and more since Woodrow Wilson.

• 1 decade ago

No it shouldn't be rewritten, that's why there are amendments. To update laws as necessary.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

gays arent allowed to get married.

n we dont have to rewrite the constitution, we made some small amendments thats it.

• 1 decade ago

We should try following it first. Then decide.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.