Sean
Lv 7
Sean asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Obama wants China and Russia to punish N Korea, do you see it happening anytime soon?

Where has Obama been most of his life, not on this planet apparently.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_us_north_korea_analy...

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's the only option short of declaring war on North Korea. The US has already imposed as much sanctions as it can unilaterally, and with it's allies.. But the Chinese and the Russians block a full fledged round of UN sanctions

It's possible if N. Korea tests China's patience enough they will react. But it's more likely North Korea would never go that far. As China provides them with oil.

But what would you have Obama do? Or Bush do the previous few years? Attack a nuclear armed country?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I highly doubt NKorea is a threat. The US is stepping up command sponsored tours here. They would not put any families in danger if they felt the area was unstable. To those who say NKorea hates us and said they want to blow us up. They say that every year, at least 5-6 times a year. It is nothing new. They have been threatening since 1950. They don't have the firepower to get a missile over the Sea of Japan...let alone anywhere near the States. The South Koreans have trained for 50 years for North Koreans to do something, they have the firepower, the trained population and the backing of the US military. North Koreans are starving. China- likes Capitalism too much. They are seeing the greatest economic growth they have seen in years. They'd be happy with the status quo. Russia- Um they need to focus on their economy before starting a big expensive war. Iran is the only viable option. I could foresee something happening here. But nothing in the immediate future.

• 1 decade ago

Actually I don't care too much for the new people in Washington these days, but I don't have my crystal ball with me either, so I just don't know if Obamas idea has any feet or not, it is interesting however. Look at it this way: Russia and China never have and never will agree to sanctions proposed by the UN since they believe we (the US) has everyone in that organization working for or being bribed by us. A change for sure, is to let them think they are making the decision on sanctions for North Korea. Could work... What have we got to lose?

Also, if he's right, it's part of the path to the second four years, if he's wrong; he can go sit down a the local habitat for humanity and commiserate with Jimmy Carter.

• 1 decade ago

Possibly. Neither China nor Russia would be served if NK became a fully nuclear armed state. The recent saber rattling by North Korea is likely more unsettlingly to Russia and China than it is to the United States. Obama is correct in that the most successful way the world could cripple North Korea’s nuclear ambitions is through China and Russia but whether they shall do anything is another matter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nothing serious will be done about N Korea , China doesn't want the country to fall apart with millions of N Koreans trying to get through into China through the border , they have an interest in what happens

• 1 decade ago

Russia, once a key backer of North Korea, condemned the test. Moscow's U.N. ambassador, Vitaly Churkin, also the Security Council president, said the 15-member body would begin work "quickly" on a new resolution.

China said it "resolutely opposed" North Korea's test and urged Pyongyang to return to talks on ending its atomic programs.

DID YOU NOT READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE?

And it's a known fact that China is scared of N. Korea and that's the only reason they have stuck with them for so long. Now that they are going against 2 of their allies, China and Russia it would be likely that they would no longer be allies and join with the US. Now do I think they will punish N. Korea? No, but I think that Obama is hoping this is the last straw for the other 2 countries, everyone is tried of N. Korea and their nuclear programs. And I don't think Obama is trying to get them to do his dirty work, I think he's smart in not standing up to N. Korea without allies because N. Korea is WHO WE DON'T want to be at WAR with ALONE.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, like Russia and China are going to even listen. Those 3 are big customers of each other.

Obama should use reverse psychology....

"Hey China and Russia..it's a good thing to have an unpredictable little neighbor, with an inferiority complex, as your immediate neighbour. Let them have 5 bombs, who cares?"

• 1 decade ago

Not without something in return. China enjoys N.K. being a thorn in the U.S.'s side. China sees it as a bargaining chip. And Russia has little or no control over N.K..

China gave nuclear bomb plans to N.K. in the 1970's. (China got the plans from Russia. Russia got the plans from U.S. spies, who were later executed for treason).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ya Obama likes others to do his dirty work for him. When he ran for state office and his US Senate seat he had his opponents removed from contention by others . When Russia invaded Chechnya Obama said he would defer to the UN Security Council. Obama never wants to break a nail doing the heavy lifting.

• 1 decade ago

I see it already happening. China and Russia condemned North Korea for its nuclear test.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.