promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is the conversation protocol (saying 'over' to end a message etc.) for talking over walkie-talkies?

We use walkie-talkies (two way radios or trans-receivers) for co-ordination in outdoor activities like trekking, camping etc. It is incredibly handy where cell phone coverage is poor or even absent. I have seen (mostly in movies or on TV) military personnel and law enforcement agencies use a particular talking style or conversation protocol while communicating over walkie-talkies. They say "over" to end a message, "out" to end a conversation etc. What the complete conversation protocol or style-guide, if you will, for such communication? I hope to use it for making our conversations more structured and precise.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Each person should have a easily recognizable call sign.

Let's say your call sign is Goose and the other person's call sign is Maverick.

You would begin the conversation by saying "Maverick, come in. Over."

Maverick would respond by saying "Goose, this is Maverick. Go ahead."

You would continue with your part of the conversation. Make sure after every sentence or two you say "Break" and release the call button for about 2 seconds to allow others to interrupt in case of an urgent update.

for example:

"Maverick, please be advised that there is an accident up ahead on route # 111. Break"

"I think the best alternate route would be to take a right at the next intersection. Break"

"We should be able to cut back onto route 111 about 2 miles ahead. How copy? Over."

You say "How copy?" to ensure that Maverick confirms what you have just said.

Maverick would respond by saying "Goose, I copy (or roger that). Over."

If there is an extended silence and you want to confirm that you still have radio connection with Maverick you would ask "Maverick, radio check. Over."

If Maverick still can hear you his response would be "Goose, I read you loud and clear. Over" -in the military, we would just respond by saying "Goose, I read you Lima Charlie. Over"

Other common phrases that we used were:

1. For numbers you would not say twelve. You would say each number out individually (ie... one - two)

2. The military alphabet is used in place of just saying A, B, C. Instead over the radio it should be Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...

3. "What's your current pos" (pronounced PAUSE) - this means "what's your current position", basically asking where are you at?

4. "Our current ETA is approximately two-three minutes" (ETA-estimated time of arrival) this could be asked like this "Maverick, what's your ETA to site Bravo"?

Source(s): 6 years Navy Corpsman assigned to Marine Corps Infantry Battalion. 2 deployments to Iraq (Initial 2003 invasion and Ramadi 2004-2005).
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): PhoneLookup Directories http://ReversePhoneNumberLookup.enle.info/?I0OT
  • 3 years ago

Army Walkie Talkie

• 4 years ago

Military Walkie Talkie

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Monica
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

10/4

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ur chatting **** my freind, over and out:-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.