Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why would a Republican consider General Powell a Republican?

He supported Obama, he believes the majority of Americans want higher taxes(what or where does he get this idea?) and he supports all of Obama's programs. What then makes him a Republican or why should any Republican care what he thinks.

Even one Obamabot tried to answer and ms bosh has proved that they are clueless. The fact that you would accept Powell for anything other than a fine human and a respected military figure BUT not a Republican you cannot support one party and belong or claim to belong to the other.

Favorite Answer

I'm an independent so I don't have a partisan axe to grind here, but I'll tell you what I think.

The Republican Party has been damaged by GW Bush. The party leaders know it, but they don't like to talk about it. They know they need to work on fixing the party's image, its 'brand' before 2012.

There are two factions in the party, fighting it out as to which way to go. One group wants to soften the party's image, make it look more reasonable and moderate and tolerant. Michael Steele was hired by this faction. The other faction is led by Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney. They think the party wasn't 'conservative' enough.

I think Limbaugh and Cheney are selling the party out for their own selfish purposes. Limbaugh makes tens of millions of dollars a year selling anger and outrage and slander, and if he had to be more moderate he would be done. Cheney is trying to salvage the legacy of the Bush Administration and just basically make trouble for the Democrats.

If the party keeps going the way it's going, it will end up being only a regional party, relevant only in the South. If it wants to survive (I think) it needs to listen to moderate, level-headed, reasonable people like Colin Powell and Michael Steele. It needs to try to COOPERATE with Democrats, to contribute ideas, to work in a bipartisan fashion. To stop being The Party of NO, and once more become The Party of Ideas.

But, as I say, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm kind of enjoying watching the party struggle. We are down to 20% of Americans now who identify themselves as Republicans.

• buch

for some years the Republican social gathering became monolithic. The Republicans have continuously been the minority social gathering in terms of voter registrations, yet they have been able to take administration with the aid of greater applicable self-discipline and masterful use of wedge subjects. because of the fact the time of Reagan, the GOP has been all some particular schedule. ALL Republican elected officers supported this schedule. Republicans in Congress voted all alike, and any who did no longer have been punished. So the final approach of Republicans is that every physique who does not wholeheartedly help The schedule is a traitor to the reason, and desires to be punished, or a minimum of close up. This attitude worked ok for them for the final 30 years, yet at present that's no longer working. the sensation is that the Bush administration lead the social gathering into the barren area. So now there's a conflict between the old genuine-believers and troublesome-liners who choose to hold the social gathering at the same time decrease than the old banner, and people who experience this attitude has failed and picture the social gathering might desire to alter into greater reasonable, greater pragmatic, greater open or perhaps pluralistic. The latter faction are oftentimes called RINOs with the aid of the former. Powell is a good occasion to instruct this. He sacrificed his very own credibility and respectability over the Iraq conflict. He knew, as each and every genuine militia expert knew, that we could no longer win in Iraq and not making use of a lot greater troops to stabilize the rustic. i'm valuable he instructed Bush this, privately, yet he supported Bush outwardly because of the fact he became a collection participant. He made that speech to the UN full of baloney, and he knew it became baloney, and he lost any credibility he might desire to have had. Then he left the administration, yet extremely than say 'I instructed you so!' and writing a tell-all e book, he saved his mouth close for 4 years, until Bush became out of place of work. Now he's making an attempt to salvage what's left of the social gathering. The social gathering that screwed him! So he will become a concentration for the unhappiness and hatred of the troublesome-line faction, who do no longer comprehend that they are ideal the social gathering off a cliff.

• Ktcyan

Being a member of a political party is not exclusive and doesn't mean that you must be in lock step with the party on every issue. You can consider yourself a member of any party and unless your state tracks you as being a member of a party on your voter registration the only requirement is what you consider yourself, not what anyone else may think. It's like religion, do you believe everything your church teaches or believes is true, most people don't but they find a church that they mostly agree with and join that one. Lately this partisan bickering is unprecedented and ridiculous, the party leaders know this and are playing with people's loyalty, no different than the catholic church tries to set the agenda. Bottom line is that people need to begin to use their own minds and not be persuaded by anyone else who wants to use you to force their agenda. Colin Powell has more integrity than anyone who is trying to pigeon hole him where they think he fits, he follows his own mind and heart now that he is retired, that alone deserves respect not condemnation.

I think I love how people say things like, I am not a Republican but... and then go on and communicate a Republican commentary.

I am not even an American but I follow your politics closely. And honestly, if Republicans want to hold onto power anytime soon they need to listen to Tom Ridge and Colin Powell. It is important to embrace the moderates and the independents as they are the ones who help win elections.

If you crazy conservative Republicans are now chastising your own members, then I hope you enjoy governing municipalities instead of they country.

Does not matter.

Last time I looked.. you don't fill out some application to join one party or the other. What OTHER "Republicans" think/ don't think has nothing to do with allowing a person into the party..and that goes for Democrats as well. By your own analogy.. why should anyone care what Limbaugh thinks? According to Rush's thinking.. anyone who is honest in speaking about who they voted for, is a traitor to the party. That scares the crap out of me, as to the level of intolerance.

He supports all of Obama's programs? I don't know that. I would say what he DOES NOT ACCEPT OR SUPPORT is the mentality that the GOP is showing, of malice and hatred.

Powell himself clearly stated his reasons for voting for Obama, as being the BETTER CANDIDATE, and his own disgust with the mentality of the campaign. The ignorant statement by Rush that Powell only voted on a racial basis, put the icing on the cake as to his own racism and disrespect for the rights of others.

In effect.. when Rush makes the false claim that Powell only voted on race.. he is calling Powell a liar, and blocking out that millions of Americans found the name calling and unsubstantiated smears to be dirty politics.

Being America.. Rush does not define what people think, nor does Powell. The people define that for themselves.

In this case.. I suspect Rush is gonna be on the short end of a losing stick, no matter what his ratings are.

edit

per your belief.. if you register as a Republican, you are REQUIRED to lock step to the party policies.. even if they are blatantly offensive. That is pretty rigid, I think, and a serious distortion of anyone's right to choose what they think, on individual issues.

btw.. in Texas, you are not required to register by party.. and you are free to vote for any candidate you choose, even on the same ballot.

Despite the fact that the Republican party has helped Powell get where he is in life, Powell returned to his " roots " as a black man and turned his back on the Republican party.

I'm not a Republican, but from what I've read, most consider national defense very important. Most GOPs support a strong military (even when they are too chicken to enlist themselves) and, at least publicly, admire people who are accomplished in their military careers.

GENERAL Colin Powell has a very distinguished military career dating back to his days as a young man and his service in the Vietnam War. He was very instrumental in our success during Operation Desert Storm. He tried to be a "good soldier" as a former President Bush's first Secretary of State, even going so far as to give lelss-than-honest testimony before the United Nations about Iraq's weapons situation. This was persuasive enough to help get us into the current war in Iraq. He now appears to regret his statements, but he did support the president when he was really needed.

Anyone who admires and respects Rush over Gen. Powell has a warped view of conservatism and the history and potential of the Republican party. But it's your own funeral.

I am not a republican but even I, in my wildest dreams would never consider Powell a republican. He left the Republican party when he voted race.

He should be kicked out. I don't know who would ever trust him.. oh wait.. he is exactly who Obama would want.. and I am sure will get.

Wait for it... Gates will soon be finished.. guess what great black general will take his place.. yup.. you guessed it.. Mr. turncoat Powell!

If someone is registered as a Republican, they are a Republican. Of course, that doesn't mean you agree with all of their views.

Why would a Republican claim you are a Republican. You are only taking away votes with being stupid.