Jehovahs Witnesses,if Jesus were not God,why did Thomas call him that?

And Thomas answered and said unto him:"My Lord and my God"(John 20:28)

Peter:Plagiarizing "Should you believe in the Trinity"will not help here.Try being original.

Favorite Answer

Isaiah 43:10, John 13:19, and John 20:28 are related...

The Greek was shown for Isaiah 43:10 and John 13:19

Is. 43:10: hina pisteusete ... hoti ego eimi

Jn. 13:19: hina pisteusete ... hoti ego eimi

Isaiah 43:10

Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

John 13:19

Now I tell you before it come, that, when it is come to pass, ye may believe that I AM.

John 20:25,28,29

The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the LORD. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

John 13:19 alludes to Isaiah 43:10 in the past... and then John 20:28 in the future. Jesus told the disciples in John 13:19 that they would believe that "I AM" and that's why when Thomas finally believed, he said "My LORD and MY GOD".

• PETER

Does Thomas’ exclamation at John 20:28 prove that Jesus is truly God?

John 20:28 (RS) reads: “Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”

There is no objection to referring to Jesus as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35, RS; Ps. 82:1-6) Of course, Christ occupies a position far higher than such men. Because of the uniqueness of his position in relation to Jehovah, at John 1:18 (NW) Jesus is referred to as “the only-begotten god.” (See also Ro, By.) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as “a god,” or “divine,” at John 1:1 (NW, AT).

The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Jesus’ death, Thomas had heard Jesus’ prayer in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3, RS) After Jesus’ resurrection Jesus had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending . . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17, RS) After recording what Thomas said when he actually saw and touched the resurrected Christ, the apostle John stated: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:31, RS) So, if anyone has concluded from Thomas’ exclamation that Jesus is himself “the only true God” or that Jesus is a Trinitarian “God the Son,” he needs to look again at what Jesus himself said (vs. 17) and at the conclusion that is clearly stated by the apostle John (vs. 31).

Oh wow, if Thomas a mere human said it, then it must be true.

*rolls eyes*

Ever hear of the phrase "Doubting Thomas"? Did you even read the entire chapter or did you just take a verse out of context like so many others do? Jesus had to appear before them and allow Thomas to see and physically touch the wounds before he would believe. Maybe you should have Jesus appear for the JW's. Why should they be held to a higher standard then Thomas?

Jesus said that his Father was his God and our God not himself.

(John 20:17) Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me. For I have not yet ascended to the Father. But be on your way to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and YOUR Father and to my God and YOUR God.’”

(John 1:18) No man has seen God at any time.

Satan is even called god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4)

So John 20:28 is not a trinity proof.

• IJAH

UH because if you've seen him you've seen the father so he exclaimed my lord and...and ...and... do you get it? If my god, spoke to me, through his son, [and I believe he did] and I was standing in his Presence, I would exclaim ...my lord and my god! That is why ,you can say, that the holy spirit, speaks through us today .But noone says things like that to us ,but it is true, of any ambassador of the christ. You can hear, and see him, through me. I am an ambassador of the christ. He is the christ . It was awe that caused him to exclaim in such a way! I am anointed with the same spirit but I am imperfect ,so your not in awe, but you should be .For I was told to become one with the father by jesus. I am one with the father . I am spirit begotten... that means god speaks through me just as he did through him. What is more.. I am like jesus as an imperfect person representing god and I belong to jesus. So now what do ya think. I have no problem saying this as I am the bride of the christ.... not many of us around.. one of the 144,000 . I know who I am. I speak of my lord and my god constantly and consistantly...Among my own people Iam just as in the world ,Rejected by some, listened to by others...And the ones that listen can learn ,the rejecters are of no consequence to me. I am a revealer of secrets and talk of the great works of Jehovah. A judge and a teacher of love.I am merciful and understanding and like my owner I am eaten up with zeal for my father's house.agape.IJAH I bear the name of almighty god for a reason...

Mistaken Identity.

It's very clearly written in the Scriptures that Thomas was always easily impressed.

Your obsession with them is kind of freaky. Is that all you have gotten from your religion? Dude, you're not any better than anybody else.

• Mythos

Some people simply refuse to see what's right in front of them.

And it's not only JW's who do this.