Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

Who do you think will win the starting QB job in Cleveland?

It's looking like Brady Quinn

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2009...

BQ: Will the Browns deal Derek Anderson as soon as a starting QB goes down with an injury to get maximum value for him?

Squad 9_7: Sorry cool, but you have no clue about football. .....Brady Quinn worthless. He deserves his shot to show what he can do. He wanted to play for the Browns since he was a child let him play.

Favorite Answer

I think the job is Quinn's to lose. He's been their "quarterback of the future" for some time now, and he has every chance to prove it right now. I don't think the decision is made yet though - He may be taking the reps with the first team, but someone has to, right? And like I said, he's the "QB of the future" so he has the early advantage. Watch how preseason games go. If Quinn does poorly, I expect Anderson to start the next preseason game to see how he runs the offense. It's far too early to make a real decision about this, but I do think Quinn will end up starting in Cleveland.

As far as trading Anderson (assuming Quinn is firmly entrenched as starter).... I guess it all depends upon how much the coaches like Ratliff. He's clearly an unproven prospect, and I don't know all that much about him. However, he is a guy that Mangini specifically wanted, so perhaps he's pretty decent.... however, you'd think someone pretty decent would have beat out Kellen Clemons, right?

Teams always want a solid backup, and the Browns have one right now, no matter who wins the job. However, if they do decide to trade Anderson, what would he be worth? Matt Cassell was only worth a 2nd round pick, and he hasn't shown the penchant for turnovers and innaccuracy that Anderson has shown. So would it be worth trading him for a 3rd or 4th round pick?

And also, what teams would Anderson really be a huge upgrade for? (ie-one that would be willing to give up an early-ish pick as well as pay him a fairly bloated salary). It would have to be a team that is built to win now and is facing an injury at QB and has no backup plan because I don't see any teams treating Anderson as a legitimate starter. The Texans could be logical - they have the often injured Schuab, and Dan Orlovsky is thier backup. The Bears really don't have anyone proven behind Cutler, I don't trust any of the Falcons backups either.

I think it would take a pretty unusual set of circumstances for a team to trade for Anderson. The trade deadline is week 6, and normally a team will give their backup a game or two to see how they do. So you'd be looking at a QB getting injured within the first 3 weeks or so on a team that thinks they have a legitimate shot at the playoffs right now. Then they have to decide that it wants Anderson rather than some of the serviceable free agents still available or some of the other QB's who may be available for a trade. It's not impossible, but I don't see it happening.

Who cares? It's the BROWNS. Anways...

They're in a lose lose situation. Derek Anderson needs an ELITE offensive line to function with pro bowl possibilities. Brady Quinn can function without the ELITE line, but he still is a worthless QB.

QB who relies on the OL > worthless QB

Anderson is much better than Quinn either way, but sadly it looks like the Browns are in for another pitiful season, just this time behind the reigns of Brady Quinn. Sorry Cleveland.

Jets: Mark Sanchez. He is the face of that organization right now and they didn't spend $50 million for him to be a backup. Browns: Brady Quinn. It's his time to shine in Cleveland. Chiefs: Matt Cassel. Look what he did with the Pats last season. How could he not start? Raiders: JaMarcus Russell. Although Garcia is more experienced, Russell is the guy in Oakland. Lions: Matt Stafford. If they want to do anything (like they will), then they have to have Stafford start. Bucs: I wish that Freeman would start, but I'm gonna say McCown will get the nod here. 49ers: Shaun Hill. Alex Smith will get some time in preseason, but Hill has this one.

Brady Quinn had some shining moments last year. He is kind of in a tough spot because he doesn't have a mentor on that franchise. I think he could be great but he needs time to mature instead of getting smashed by the D.

Brady Quinn for sure

I think that they will start Brady Quinn. He has done reasonably well in the few games he has played in.

Quinn should start. He is the future. Trade Anderson for a WR.

Well the Coach already said it would be Brady Quinn.

I like Quinn. I think he has great potential. The Browns just need to start him and see what he can do.

I really hope it's Anderson- I like his back story and his perseverance. I believe he was the victim of bad stars aligning against him (thanks for the drops, Edwards) and that he is still Pro Bowl capable.

But I think you're right- who ever doesn't get the starting gig will be dealt to a team needing a QB.

Source(s): Go Browns!