For whipple procedure, why do the surgeons cut the bile duct as well?

If a person has got pancreatic cancer, and the doctor recommends whipple procedure. in Whipple procedure, the doctor will cut the bile duct , part of the duodenum and sometimes part of the stomach as well. My question is , if the cancer is at the pancreas, why did the doctor cut out the bile cuit and duodenum as well?

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's because you want to lower the risk of the cancer spreading. The pancreas empties its juices into the duodenum at the same site that the bile duct empties. Because everything is contact doctors opt to take it all out. Better to have one surgery than two because of recurrence.

Source(s): Gray's Anatomy 40th Edition

Because the bile duct and the main pancreatic duct connect into one vessel attached to the doudenum. This area is typically where a pancreatic tumor forms, and everything must be removed to halt the spread.

Source(s): Mother had pancreatic cancer.