Was Peter crucified upside down?

Is this true? And if so, where is it? Because I don't think it is in the Bible, if it is please tell me where. Don't just say yes he was, I want to know why you are so sure he was. And I already know if he really was, why he was, so don't bother with that part. :D

I'm only asking because I was looking at a picture of an upside down cross and it said that that was how Peter was executed but I was just wondering if there was actually any real proof.

LOL woops.

when I said And I already know if he really was, why he was, so don't bother with that part

I mean that if he really was then I know why he was. not that I knew if he was or not, gosh im a tard

Favorite Answer

Yes he was. But not before he had appointed St. Mark the Evangelist as Bishop of Alexandria. When the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches began committing heresy after the Council of Chalcedon in 451, the spiritual leadership of Christ's church on Earth passed to the Bishop of Alexandria and the See of St. Mark. The current occupant is Pope Shenouda III

Crucified Upside Down

I'm glad you have evidence to indicate how Peter was executed (if he was) as this will shed a great deal of light on the history of the early church and Roman society. Please post what journal you are publishing your findings in.

However, if you are just assuming that tradition is correct, then you have no reason to assert how he was killed.

Apparently the Romans did crucify people in different positions so at least that part is slightly plausible.

Edit:

If Peter was crucified in 64 to 67 CE, that means that he died about 35 to 37 years after Jesus, which means that he was likely to be an ancient man by any standards of the time.

The early Christians had no idea what happened to any of the apostles, so they created rumours about them. Within a single generation those rumours were accepted as fact and the stories are still being told today. There is not even the slightest skerrick of evidence that Peter was crucified upside down (apart from the rumours themselves).

If this tradition were based solely on an apocryphal book like the Gospel of James or the Gospel of Peter, I would say it's not anything you should take very seriously. However, in this case, there is enough legitimate historical evidence corroborating Peter's death that we can say there is some truth to it. Peter was probably crucified in some manner like that, though the exact details of an apocryphal text should not be regarded in nearly the same authoritative manner as Scripture.

Source(s): Documents found in the catacombs of Rome were pretty helpful on this one.

nobody knows

****

From "The Acts of Peter" (2nd century AD) that we get the story of Peter

being crucified upside-down. Supposedly Peter requested that he be crucified

upside-down because he was "unworthy to die in the same manner as my Lord."

Acts of Peter was written before 200CE, but is not part of the Bible

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Was Peter crucified upside down?

Source(s): peter crucified upside down: https://biturl.im/yaU6O

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Z2Blq

Peters death was not recorded in the Bible. Most of the disciples deaths were not recorded in the Bible. Judas, James, and Stephens are. The Disciples deaths are purely speculation through traditional teachings. Which does bring up an interesting question. The Bible records Judas death by hanging. How did he write a book twenty or so years after the death of Jesus? He died before Jesus did.

• Gary

I noticed, for the millionth time, the poor quality of the answers given by Christians to your perfectly reasonable question. After some Googling, I managed to find a website with a translation of an old text called Acts of Peter and Paul, describing Peter's crucifixion. This translation reads:

"And Peter, having come to the cross, said: Since my Lord Jesus Christ, who came down from the heaven upon the earth, was raised upon the cross upright, and He has deigned to call to heaven me, who am of the earth, my cross ought to be fixed head down most, so as to direct my feet towards heaven; for I am not worthy to be crucified like my Lord. Then, having reversed the cross, they nailed his feet up."

Apparently the oldest text reporting Peter's upside down crucifixion is an "apocryphal" text called the Acts of Peter, written in the second half of the second century. Here is a quote from section 37 of that text, in which Peter asks his executioners to crucify him upside down:

"But now it is time for thee, Peter, to deliver up thy body unto them that take it. Receive it then, ye unto whom it belongeth. I beseech you the executioners, crucify me thus, with the head downward and not otherwise: and the reason wherefore, I will tell unto them that hear."

You can find that translation, in its entirety, here:

http://wesley.nnu.edu/biblical_studies/noncanon/ac...

I hope this helps you find what you were looking for. I think all these sources, as well as those found in the Bible, should be taken with a great, healthy, dose of skepticism.

• Emmaa.

It's not proven, but it is in other historical evidence. He did get crucified upside down because he felt he wasn't worthy to die like JC did.