just me asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Is the Confederate flag racist?

I was on a bumper-sticker site and there was a bumper sticker that had the Confederate flag that said "If you think this flag is racist your a bigger retard than the teacher who told it was". I also see things saying its supporting heritage or history.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Well that bumper sticker was poorly written. I prefer the Southerns who say It was OUR symbol first. Two problems that come in are first off groups like the Klan hijacked it and the other is the Jim Crowe supporters were from the South and used it as their symbol. The Confederates WEREN'T using it for a symbol of racism though.

• Teresa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There are plenty of ignorant people who will respond with ignorance, or emotion, to the question. This is true of any question involving the Confederate battle flag (not the "Stars and Bars", which was a wholly different flag). The truth, though, is that the flag is certainly not "racist". It's easy to put a label like that on anything these days. It's just a term that really has no meaning, but is used to silence those who disagree with you. Read what Charles Dickens, Lord Acton, and others had to say about the war. It wasn't about slavery. It was about the right of self determination--the same thing that the Colonials fought the Revolutionary War over.

• Pinkie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It is not racist, but is often mistaken as racist by uneducated people, or people looking for something to be angry about. I read an article recently about an african american group of men led by a former leader of the aclu that marched across the country bearing the confederate flag in an attempt to educate people about he role of african americans in the war.

Think about it, if the war were only about slavery being eliminated, then why would the blacks back then have fought on the side of the south? If the whites had given them guns, and life were so terrible, then wouldn't they have turned their guns on the whites right then? I am not saying slavery was good or right, I am saying it is not what the war was about. The abolition of slavery was just a really wonderful aftereffect of the war.

Do a little research, you might be surprised what you learn, and the stories about it are truly fascinating.

Source(s): I have forgotten more civil war history than most folks will ever read!
  • icabod
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The confederate battle flag AKA "Stars and Bars" was only one of several flags used. As the national flag had lots of white and was oddly shaped, it was often mistaken for a white flag of surrender.

What it it means? The government of the confederacy. What was that about? Vice-president Alexander Stephens explained it as

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the ***** is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. "

The KKK , Jim Crow laws, poll tax and grandfather clause all were aimed at disenfranchising the freed slaves. It's hard to say they "hijacked" the battle flag as most had fought under it.

Note the amount of anger that accompanies the flag. There are often personal attacks and convoluted explanations of what the flag means. It seems to touch a raw nerve on those that hold fast to the flag.

Finally "Texas vs White" resolved the issue of secession. The Supreme Court held that it was unconstitutional.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Mike C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Confederate flag is a piece of cloth (or ink or paint depending on the medium). It's people that give this meaning. Some use it and others percieve it as a symbol of racism. For some it's a symbol of pride or independence or rebellion against the established order, state's rights, etc.

It's not taken on the same sybology of hate that the Swaztika has, but for many, it does sybolize racism.

• For some it's not & for others not at all. Unfortunately however the flag has been used by racist groups who have used that flag as their symbol of hatred against minorities.

• No, it doesn't represent racism. However, the realistic answer is that most who wave it or like it are racist. They are the reason why the flag has racist stigma attached to it.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

For some yes, but not necessarily. It it more a symbol of southern pride. Of course, there are the ******* who use it as a racist symbol.

• 1 decade ago

well, its actually not rascist, a flag really cant have feelings. it was supposed to represent the country, not represent rasicscim

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. It represents the south. Some people may link it to racism because it was used during the Civil War by the states who supported slavery. In today's world, however, I would have to say that no, its not racist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.