My tank isn't cycling, what is wrong?

I just bought a new tank. I want to do it the way everybody here says it should be done. I added gravel and decorations. Got the fish store bacteria, and have waited 6 weeks. I want to add fish as having an empty tank is boring. Why wont it cycle. I have been checking the water and nothing has started. Do I... show more I just bought a new tank. I want to do it the way everybody here says it should be done. I added gravel and decorations. Got the fish store bacteria, and have waited 6 weeks. I want to add fish as having an empty tank is boring. Why wont it cycle. I have been checking the water and nothing has started. Do I need to get fish in it to get it going or just more time? It is a 55 gallon.
Update: For the sake of the fish, and the fact that I can't stand shrimp, anyway to get fish poo? Do they sell something that is just like that? That way I dont have to add any chemicals to my tank. I want to do this as natural as possible.
Update 2: 55 gallon fresh water. By the sounds of it the best bet is to add more of the bacteria along with fish?? I thought everybody hated adding fish to help a tank that size cycle. Why couldnt I just add fish and do a water change every few days? Wouldn't that work as well?