Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

What is the meaning of 'You had me at hello'?

I think I've got some sort of idea, just want to know the proper meaning, and where it came from?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's from the movie Jerry Maguire. Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) marries Dorothy Boyd (Renee Zellweger) after she is the only person who supports him when he is fired. She is in love with him, but he is distant and caught up in his moral awakening and staying afloat in his unstable business endeavor (for which he was fired).

His business works out and he goes back to Dorothy to profess his love for her. He bursts into their living room with an unsure hello as he surprisingly greets a room full of her friends and begins to explain that his business success was hollow without her and she completes him (heard that one too? "You complete me"). She (Renee Zellweger) interrupts him to say "you had me at hello."

The line means that he didn't have to say all of those things for her to know that he loves her. She loves him and he loves her and their love doesn't need a speech or profession of love. Hello was the first thing he said in the door and that was all she needed to hear. They just need to be together.

Whew - I'm not particularly articulate. It's a sweet thing to say that become a bit of an infamous movie line. "Show me the money!" is from Jerry Maguire, too.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's from the movie Jerry McGuire

• poop
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Like the first poster says, it comes from the movie Jerry Maguire. It simply means you're infatuated with someone at first sight.

• lehner
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

You Had Me At Hello

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It comes from the film "Jerry Maguire".

It means that I needed no persuading: from the minute you walked in and said "Hello" I was on your side, so you did not need to say anything else.

• 5 years ago

I like the converse, "You had me at a low," meaning that you were with me at a low point in my life.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means you've watched a really lame movie.

• totobaylon5 years agoReport

Yeah.. a really lame movie at 7.3 out of ten at IMDB.

• 4 years ago

ily stands for I love You.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.