Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Can leukemia kill you?

I'm going to the Doctor to see if I have leukemia or not...

Favorite Answer

Cancer of any kind is dangerous - there is no such thing as a good cancer. Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that a patient can reach remission and eventually NED status. There isn't a "cure" but it's generally accepted that after 5 years post treatment the leukemia is considered "cured."

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo, 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone then he'll have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

I hope this helped you out some, the most important thing to take from this is that LEUKEMIA IS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

I know your nervous, but as previously stated it has one of the best

cure rates. One thing that you do need to know is success does depend on the type of leukemia, Hopefully if you do have it

it is non hogkins.

But even if its not there are bone marrow treatments and stem cell,

really they have come so far with this, probably because it effects a lot of children, so funding was and is still available for research.

So that young ones can grow old.

I also thing you will be ok

Please keep us posted,

with the best intent,

Denise

Source(s): self
  • bevens

some those with cancer might desire to be attentive to the survival costs for his or her variety of cancer. Others won't discover the numbers effective, or may even no longer prefer to be attentive to them. regardless of if or no longer you prefer to learn survival costs is as much as you. in many cases, approximately eighty% to ninety% of adults might have finished remissions after scientific care. meaning leukemia cells can now no longer be considered of their bone marrow. yet in approximately 0.5 of those sufferers the cancer will come again (relapse), so the final treatment fee is around 30% to 40%. returned, those costs variety finding on the subtype of ALL and different prognostic factors. at the same time as numbers furnish an common photograph, do no longer forget that each and each individual is unique and information can not assume precisely what is going to ensue on your case. communicate including your cancer care group in case you have questions on your individual possibilities of a treatment, or how long you may desire to stay on your cancer. They be attentive to your situation maximum suitable.

Well if the news is bad don't worry there is hope...I'm a 15 yr survivor and since then the treatment has only gotten better. If it is cancer I can help..I've been helping cancer patients my whole life.. So if the news is bad go here...

http://www.thecancersmile.com/home.html

Remember to smile.

Just live life a day at a time. I pray things will be fine.

• ayoooo

well, first of all i want to say dont worry your symptoms could be one of many things and its all going to be ok. leukemia could be lethal but there are a lot of ways to treat it and i am sure you will be fine :) good luck, honey, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

its one of the most treatable forms of cancer and the survival rate is high

Source(s): i had cancer

like any cancer it can but thats why theres treatments

good luck =( ... it can kill you but not always.