Is there anything I can do for femoral neuropathy?

I have been taking neurotin 1200mg 3x day and I am having new painfull numbing feelings spreading throughout my leg. the DR. says it will have to take it's course. I need to know if anyone knows of anything I can do to help with my problem.

• LABL
    Favorite Answer

YIKES! Double YIKES! Far be it from me to quarrel with your doctor but he/she is an idiot! My husband has been a type 2 diabetic for the past 25 years. He had femoral neuropathy that produced extreme pain and numbness. His doctor had him on neurontin too. By the way, you should research the side effects of that medication - it plays havoc with your liver for one thing.

My husband was miserable with this numbness. Often he would go to bed at 7:00 p.m. just so that when he fell asleep it would not hurt him.

His neuropathy progressed to the point where he could not walk over 75 feet at time without having to sit down - the pain was so bad. Seven years ago I told my grown children that in 6 months I would be pushing dad around in a wheelchair and I wasn't kidding. At that time, he was also taking insulin - 43 units of Lantus a night.

I research this problem. I found that a low carb lifestyle would actually eliminate the neuropathy. About 2 weeks after going on a low carb lifestyle, my husband's neuropathy began to subside. Within 2 months he was in a 5K race!!!! He walked but he finished and had no pain.

Within 2 months of low carb, he came completely off of his insulin --- that was 7 years ago and he has never had to go back on insulin. You can not come off of insulin without your doctor's approval. My husband had his doctor's approval and a matter of fact he had his doctor's admiration. She could not believe how much better he was getting.

He hasn't taken neurontin in 6.5 years. He lost 80 pounds. He is a different person because of low carb and exercise.

We have been helping others ever since. Please talk to your doctor and if your doctor will not approve of a low carb lifestyle -- get another doctor. You are the only person responsible for your body. Take care of it and live a better life than you can right now even imagine!

• Dory

Yes, the EMG will hurt. They insert a very small needle into the area, and then ask you to stimulate the muscle. Then they will move the needle around a little and it is quite painful at that point. Luckily, it doesn't last for more than a few seconds!! Good luck

HI Kevin you are the first diabetic that I have talked to that also has this. Sure is fun ha, well not but there are other meds to try. I did not find neurotin to help but lyrica and cymbalta are pretty expensive but they do seem to help a bit. Other diabetics try alpha lopic acid 600 mg per day. I also think it helps to walk so I wish you good luck.