Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Muhammad Ali boxing style?

I only just recently started to take an interest in boxing and now love it and have watched practically all of Ali's fights. When he fights I notice he hangs his hands down by his waste which is extremely dangerous right? He also dances around his opponent throwing jabs but when I watch other fighters I can't find a single person that dances around there opponent or keeps their hands low near there waste. If he is the greatest of all time why don't people copy him.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

He is the only one who was fast and nimble enough to get away with it. Roy Jones is similar in style as far as keeping his gloves low. Ali relied on his lightning quick reflexes to avoid punches and knew just how to stay out the range of his opponents shots. He liked to stick and move as he had an 82" reach which also gave him an advantage over most of his opponents. His footwork was dazzling and there has never been another heavyweight that could compare. You see, Muhammad Ali just had this natural God given gift with his footwork, speed, and reflexes particularly earlier in his career and we will probably never see his likes again as far as charisma, popularity, charm, gift of gab, and natural boxing skills. Any other fighter that tries to fight like him probably won't make it long.

• 4 years ago

Muhammad Ali Boxing Style

• Sean G
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A few other have definately answered this adequately. The answer is two fold though. Ali held his hands low for 2 reasons...1)he knew he was fast enough to elude punches (especially before his 3 year ban) then 2) he was doing what many boxers call laying a trap. An opponent might think they have an open shot because his hands are dropped miss because he is so fast and might move straight back with his head (which also was something Ali did that wasn't fundamentally sound but he could get away with because of his speed). Once the opponent missed and was out of position/ vulnerable, Ali could then counter with a super fast flurry of sometime 8 unanswered punches. So he isnt copied a lot because most guys dont have the ability to copy it, especialy at heavyweight. If you watch more boxing you will see that Sugar ray Leonard and Roy Jones Jr. both copied this at times...but they were fast enough to do it. When you are especially gifted you can do things others cant...

• 1 decade ago

You're absolutely right! Ali's fighting style, particularly his stance, is pretty dangerous. I'm sure you've also noticed that, aside from hanging his hands low, he also evades punches by pulling his head back instead of slipping or ducking. But Ali could get away with it because he was extremely fast on his feet and had amazing reflexes, especially when he was younger. And he had the stamina to keep dancing around for 15 rounds. The guy was just a physical marvel! Now, why don't people copy him? Well, as you've said, Ali's style is "extremely dangerous" so no trainer in his right mind will teach his fighter to fight like Ali. Ali's style is extremely his and you won't find it in the book. Boxers like Larry Holmes tried to copy Ali but he just wasn't fast enough and didn't have Ali's reflexes. The thing here is unless you're physically gifted as Ali was, there's no sense in copying his style.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Muhammad Ali boxing style?

I only just recently started to take an interest in boxing and now love it and have watched practically all of Ali's fights. When he fights I notice he hangs his hands down by his waste which is extremely dangerous right? He also dances around his opponent throwing jabs but when I watch other...

Source(s): muhammad ali boxing style: https://tr.im/jmGx1
  • MYRTEL
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Muhammad Ali is the Greatest Boxer / Greatest Sportsman ever.

Remember he weighed between 15 and 18 stone yet moved at lightning speed with lightning reflexes. When his arms where low he always stood sideways on not open to the front. His exceptional jab was enough to set any and every opponent onto the back foot. many have tried the arms by the side style and most where knocked out. Kirkland Lang was a classic, you could see he would be knocked out. You have to have brains and exceptional skills. There is no one to compare to Muhammad Ali.

• 6 years ago

There is never going to be another Muhammad Ali... His style is what made him The Greatest Of All Times!

He won against the best and the most skilled boxers that ever lived.

Ali's match with Patterson and Chuvalo is amazing... both matches are long enough to observe, learn and conclude why highly skilled boxers failed against Ali!

• 1 decade ago

I understand what you mean, but there are things you don't know so I will help explain.

1) Muhammad Ali relies on very fast feet movement and carries his hands low. This has advangtages to dodge many punches but also leaves you open

2) The techniques that Muhammad boxes with is VERY unique and also, VERY HARD to master. Thats why people dont copy because heavyweight fighters now dont have the fitness and speed to dance around like the great CASSIUS CLAY!!

Hope this helps you understand!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He had a fighting style all of his own, but the reason people don't use his fighting style is that it is fundamentally wrong, he didn't fight like an actual boxer and his speed, reflexes and footwork made up for it. Later in his career when he had lost his foot speed and reflexes he became more cagey and became somewhat of a guy who would take punches, he was smart about it though. watch his fights later in his career it was still hard to hit him flush because he would roll his chin away from punches. But the reason people don't use his fighting style is because it relies on physical ability and it is dangerous.

• 1 decade ago

its not like current boxers are not trying. think about this, when you know every boxer is mimicking ali, then your focus would be finding the weakness of his style. When you do that, you pawn every boxer out there. simple.

Human beings are adaptive races. Ali's style might not survive in combat with the techniques today. he is legendary, i am very well aware. but each generation succeeds the previous, people will find weaknesses in repetition. Hope i helped

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.