Jessica asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Is a Guinea Pig the right pet for me?

hi, I'm 12 and I want to get a guinea pig but don't know if I'm ready for one yet. My family tends to travel a lot, I'm hoping to go college later (I heard that colleges don't allow pets in their dorms), and I haven't actually ever seen one in real life. All this aside I really love animals and I think I've done enough research to know how to care for them. Should I get a Guinea Pig?

• Lara
    Favorite Answer

There are many things you need to consider when getting a guinea pig. Here are some of them:

1. You must have at least two guinea pigs, as they NEED a friend. They must be the same sex or opposite sexes with one (preferably the male) desexed.

2. Can you provide them with a large cage or hutch with ample space for running around? Two guinea pigs need at least 7.5 ft sq. Check out this website for great easy, cheap cages: http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

3. Do you have the money to provide adequate food? This means hay (NOT straw), pellets/good quality mixed feed and one cup of fresh veggies and some fruits (NOT mushroom or potato, and others that are also poisonous) per guinea pig per day.

4. Do you have the money to pay for vet bills if the need arises?

5. Do you understand that guinea pigs should not be intentionally bred due to overpopulation and overcrowding of shelters?

6. Do your parents fully support you?

7. Do you have a large, protected space where your guinea pigs can run around every day, indoors or (preferably, as long as the weather is suitable) outdoors?

If you feel that you can not provide these things, as well as T.L.C for your guinea pigs, then I advise you not to get them! However, you sound very mature for your age and I'm sure that with the right education you could be a great guinea pig owner! If you think a guinea pig might be too much (they require lots of attention) perhaps get mice or other smaller animals instead.

Here are a few more pointers:

-Do not use a hutch with a wire base, as this is very bad for the guinea pigs' feet and can cause SERIOUS injury.

-Guinea pigs need constant access to hay (not straw) in order to keep their teeth healthy.

Hopefully you can provide all of these things and decide to give some piggies a home! And please, ADOPT! Do not encourage 'backyard breeders' and inbreeding by buying from a pet shop or private owner (unless they are selling their guinea pigs for good reason, such as moving house). If you live in Australia, try the Australian Cavy Sanctuary (http://australiancavysanctuary.com/) and if not, search Google or your phone book/Yellow Pages for a rescue centre near you.

Good luck! Guinea pigs really are WONDERFUL pets!

• bell

I am glad you can think for the future instead of rushing into things, thats always best with pets, too many people buy them on impulse.

Traveling could be a problem, they would need someone to watch them who knows how to care for them. If its only a few days and your family has a reliable pet sitter thet might work, or you could look into boarding.

They live 4 to 8 years so they are somewhat a long term commitment. But if you adopt one who is already a couple years old you would get to enjoy them for a few years, but they probably would not be around by the time you reach college. (plus adopting an adult you can get ones who are already tame and friendly)

Make sure you have enough room for a good sized cage (they need a lot of room) and your family is ok with messes.

http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/Guineas/Cages/

Here is a link to cage ideas for guinea pigs,, they have good suggestions since the cages in stores are mostly way too small.

Source(s): http://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html check this out for info on guinea pig care.

Guinea pigs usually don't "travel" very well, so unless you have somebody to care for them while you're away, it might not be a good idea. Remember that you have to clean the cage at least once a week, and that guinea pigs are usually not "cuddleing" animals. Also, they tend to throw their damn bedding out side of the cage and it's a pain to keep cleaning it up every day.

I wouldn't worry about college, guinea pigs usually don't live more than 4 years or so.

Guinea pigs are great pets im getting two soon but if you want to get one it will be very lonely so i would suggest two of them so they can run around and play with each other but you going to need a cage like about : 20 inches X 20 inches (51 cm X 51 cm. The pros :Cuddly , sweet , they like to cuddle with you. Cons : They are shy and take like 2 weeks to get used to you. But i recommend you get two you will love them they are cool pets.

Yes get a guinea pig because they are really cute and easy to look after and if you travel allot then give the guinea pig to one of your friends to look after but if you do decide to get one you might want to consider getting 2 because they are very sociable creatures

Source(s): Owner of 2 guinea pigs

Isn't colleges for much older people?Anyway its ok, i think a guinea pigs are really sweet so you should get them!I had guinea pigs b4 and it was adorable!Hope this helps!

yeh i think ud do well wit a guinea pig, i got my 1st guinea pig wen i was 11 and im 13 now and ive still got her, and wen we go on holiday we just take her along! hahaha she likes new smells of dif places and stuff!

Source(s): i hav 1!

well first of all you have to approve it with your family , make sure nobdy is allergic to the pet(s) in your household.

if nobody is allergici think you should get one. just remember to keep food in his or her cage before you go on vacation or put it in the hands of someone you know well. my fanily goes on lots of vacations too. we just leave our guinepig alone. i recoment that you also turn the radio and open the windows.

good luck

Source(s): my brain

u sound like u could take care of them verry well, but ur family travels alot , so some one needs to take care of them just like u do,if u can make sure that happoens, then ur ready for one.

• Hollie

yes you sound like a caring and responsible person,so yes you should

theyre cute and fluffy-who wouldnt want one?