Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicBlues · 1 decade ago

does anyone know anything about johnny ace?

I can only find stuff about his death, I'm interested in his life story though, but I just can't find any info on it. Does anyone know anything about it?

• Kman
    Favorite Answer

Johnny Ace was born John Alexander. After the Korean War he was part of the Beale Street blues scene in Memphis, which was his hometown. A gifted singer and piano player he performed with musicians that included B.B. King and Bobby"Blue" Bland. On Christmas night 1954 he put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. There was only one bullet in it:but, that was enough. There is some debate as to whether he was playing Russian Roulette or if he was simply joking around. "Pledging My Love" was released after his death and became his biggest hit. It also helped introduce R & B to white audiences.

After his death, the boss of Duke Records recruited his brother, St. Clair Alexander, to sing as Buddy Ace. Unfortunately, he did not have the talent his brother did so out he went and Jimmy Land was renamed Buddy Ace. He had a marginal career.

Hope this helps

Try wikipedia