Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

confused about scout's real name and sex in to kill a mocking bird?

hi! i've just started reading and i'm a bit confused, at first i thought scout and jem had a younger sister called Alexandra but now it seems scout is a girl called Jean Louise? and i thought scout was a boy

so i'm a bit lost, what's scout's real name, is he a boy or girl and who is Alexandra!? thanks so much for your help

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

scout is a girl her real name is jean louise but they call her scout. Alexandra is her aunt, Atticus' sister....

when i first read the book I was confused too.... :-)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Jean Louise “Scout” Finch - The narrator and protagonist of the story. Scout lives with her father, Atticus, her brother, Jem, and their black cook, Calpurnia, in Maycomb. She is intelligent and, by the standards of her time and place, a tomboy. Scout has a combative streak and a basic faith in the goodness of the people in her community. As the novel progresses, this faith is tested by the hatred and prejudice that emerge during Tom Robinson's trial. Scout eventually develops a more grown-up perspective that enables her to appreciate human goodness without ignoring human evil.

Aunt Alexandra - Atticus's sister, a strong-willed woman with a fierce devotion to her family. Alexandra is the perfect Southern lady, and her commitment to propriety and tradition often leads her to clash with Scout.

• 1 decade ago

Scout is a girl whose full name is Jean Louise (Scout is her nick name) She's sort of a tomboy and acts more like a boy... I think I understand your confusion. Alexandra is Scout and Jem's aunt she is the sister of Atticus.

Hope I helped

Source(s): my brain
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, Scout is a girl. Her real name is Jean Louise and she is a tomboy, which is why everyone calls her Scout. Jem is her brother.

Alexandra is their aunt, Atticus's sister. They don't really like her but she is a member of their family.

Jem and Scout have no other siblings, but they do have a friend, Dill.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jaz
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Alexandra is the aunty (sister of Atticus) later on she moves with Scout (Jean Louise Finch) and Jem (Jeremy Finch) to take care of them...teach Scout (shes a tomboy) girl manners

• 1 decade ago

Scout: Six-year-old Jean Louise "Scout" Finch narrates Mockingbird. A tomboy at heart, Scout works hard not to "act like a girl" by wearing overalls instead of dresses and beating up other children who antagonize her. Scout spends her days playing outside with her older brother, Jem, and her best friend, Dill. Extremely smart and bright for her age, Scout loves to read spends time reading with her father, Atticus, every night. Spunky and head strong, Scout often finds herself in trouble with her father, her housekeeper, Calpurnia, her neighbors, her aunt Alexandra, and her teachers. Despite the rules of etiquette governing life in her small town, Scout voices her opinions and recognizes hypocrisy and injustice in her elders.

Aunt Alexandra: Atticus' sister, Aunt Alexandra is a proper Southern woman who maintains a strict code about with whom she and her family should associate. She criticizes Atticus for letting Scout run wild and when she moves into their home during Tom Robinson's trial, Alexandra urges Scout to wear dresses and become a proper lady.

• 1 decade ago

Scout is a girl. Her real name is Jean-Louise. Alexandra is her aunt on her dad's side of the family.

• 1 decade ago

Her name is Jean Louise Finch.

Alexandra is Scout's neat-freak aunt.

Scout is a girl.

• 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm pretty sure her real name is Jean Louise. How she got the name Scout, I can't remember, I must read the book again.

• 1 decade ago

Scout is def a girl. She's just a bit tomboyish and Scout is a nickname.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.