Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

When figuring out BMI, does muscle mass play a roll in that?

I went to figure out my BMI on the internet, It told me to tell them my height (5'6) and then my weight (143). It said that my BMI was a 23. This really concerns me because the BMI for being overweight is 25. I have so much muscle though, like my legs are very very toned. Would that play a roll in my BMI. Because, I dont think I am fat, my ribs and hip bones are popping out of my sides... please help.

I am 16 years old. This really freaks me out because I dont think I am fat, but if it says so... gosh, I dont want to be fat...

• eh?
    Favorite Answer

Hi bellachick,

An autopsy is the only direct and accurate measure of body composition, but I'm pretty sure this information is useless to you as an autopsy cannot be performed on a living person. Besides an autopsy, the hydrostatic weighing (underwater weighing) should be the most accurate measure of body fat, as it is the standard for all other measurements of body fat. So, the BMI is based on an estimate (hydrostatic weighing) that is based on a direct measurement (autopsy).

The main problem with the BMI measurement is that it is based solely on height and weight (and possibly your frame), and it does not take your body composition into account (which is why you will not be able to estimate your body fat percentage from a BMI measurement). This means that it does not differentiate between muscle weight and fat weight, causing many healthy muscular individuals to be at an increased risk for disease according to their BMI's. Another problem with the BMI just considering total weight is that it does not determine where fat is accumulated on your body; there is a higher risk for diseases if fat is mostly stored in the waist/upper abdominal as opposed to the hip, legs, etc.

If you're just trying to keep fit and stay healthy, then you really should just focus on what you do as opposed to what you should weigh. An active and healthy lifestyle (diet, habits, etc.) is a much better indicator of long-term health and longevity than any body fatness charts or measurements. So even if you feel like you weigh more than you should or even if some body fatness measurements classify you as being slightly overweight, as long as you're living an active and healthy lifestyle, that weight will be the one your body feels is the most ideal and it will be the weight you are most healthiest at.

I hope this helps!

-Alvin

No, this is why BMI is not good for people with extra muscle.

Your BMI could be more than someone else yet you have a lower percentage of body fat than them. For a female 14%-28% body fat is healthy.

No, the BMI does not take into account muscle mass, and this is why many consider this system to be a faulty way to calculate your "ideal" healthy weight. It's much better to go to your local fitness facility and have them help you figure out a healthy weight.

Muscle does not play into BMI that is why you should ask your doctor if your body type is right for your age and height.

Why should that freak you out? Your BMI is in the HEALTHY WEIGHT range. That means you are perfectly normal and at a good weight.

No, it does not take into account your muscle mass.

If you are really concerned as to whether you at risk of being at an unhealthy weight, talk to your doctor and you can find out your body fat percentage.

i think BMI is a ton of ****