What songs would you place with....?

With Memorial Day here I'm kinda curious about something, and this curiosity has been brought on by a question I saw on here last night. That question was a song to represent the age of exploration and imperialism. Well it got me to thinking what songs would people pick to represent various wars.

I try to work on a tribute movie/slideshow for Memorial Day and for each war I try to pick a song or songs to represent the war. So some of my choices are:

ACW - "Battle Cry of Freedom" written by George F. Root, "Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!" written by George F. Root, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home," written by Louis Lambert, "A Call to Arms" composed and conducted by James Horner with vocal preformance by the Boys Choir of Harlem, and "The Year of Jubilee" composed and conducted by James Horner

Spanish-American War - "Stars and Stripes Forever" composed by John Philip Sousa

WWI - "Over There" written by George M. Cohan, preformed by Billy Murray

WWII - "Sophisticated Lady" written by Duke Ellington, "Midway March" composed and conducted by John Williams, "The Whipping" composed and conducted by James Horner), "Hymn to the Fallen" composed and conducted by John Williams, "Theme from Band of Brothers" composed and conducted by Micheal Kamen

Vietnam - "Goodnight Saigon" written and preformed by Billy Joel, "Still in Saigon" preformed by the Charlie Daniels Band (and I'm pretty sure written by Daniels himself)

As I said, I'm curious what others would choose. And not just Americans either, what would folks from other countries choose to represent their vets in various conflicts?

Favorite Answer

American War of Independence, and War of 1812:

How about the Star Spangled Banner on bagpipes. For the American War of Independence. To show our break from Great Britain, with an instrument associated with the peoples of GB.

American Civil War:

Iron Maiden: Blood Brothers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbcm8Ao9Vfg

Youtube thumbnail

World War 1:

Iron Maiden: Paschendale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8L8rd9Uzn0

Youtube thumbnail

Though the US was not involved in the Battle, being 6 months or so before the American Arrival, it is an amazing song, that relates to trench warfare.

WW 2:

Iron Maiden: the Longest Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJ8rDlBZ_I

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related This song is about the D-Day landing. Battle of Normandy

I'm don't have time for more songs... Up the Irons.

"Fortunate Son" for Vietnam. It was written in response to Vietnam, and its a great song. listen to the lyrics. I think its great what your doing btw. That is really neat. Good pick for WWII with teh Band of Brothers theme, haha that is my favorite movie/ tv episodes/ whatever. Two others for vietnam, that were very popular were i think "Eve of Destruction" and for sure "Ballad of the Green Berets." Also, I was born in the US by Springsteen was for Vietnam. Good luck!

• Robin

Really there are alot of songs. During the 40's most songs were for the soldiers. Company C, for one, Vietnam, has many songs just look on the internet since I really can't tell you the names or the artist. But boy if I hear them I can tell you which war they stood for.

• Sidney

"We Gotta Get Out of this Place," by The Animals, Vietnam