Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL)?

Okay well.. My friend has Acute Lymphoblast Leukemia(All) and she is 17 year old, Female

she discovered I had it about two years ago. And yes she has been to the doctors and everything….

But I was just wondering… She says her stomach hurts a lot. Like she’s always complaing about it

Is that a side effect from having Leukemia? What do you thin the best thing for her to do is? (Besides going to the doctors of course. Like when she’s at home. What should she do? And is there a type of Medicine they subscribe to her for her leukemia? If so what is it called? Can someone please tell me everything that she should when she’s at home and not at the doctors. I’m worried about her.

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, ALL is an acute leukemia, which is considered a medical emergency. Patients diagnosed with either of the acute leukemias (ALL & AML) need to begin treatment very soon after diagnosis - usually within the first 48 hours - in order to have a chance of a better outcome.

I have met many children with ALL over the last 2 1/2 years but I know more about AML. My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. There's no actual tumour as in other cancers but leukemia is a cancer of the cells that create blood cells. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 2 consolidation rounds, and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone.

During chemotherapy, Eli has a horrible time with nausea and vomiting. He has tried several anti-nausea drugs to help him such as Ativan, Zofran, Kytril, or even Benedryl. The Zofran seems to work best for him although Ativan does take away the nausea - it just sedates him to the point he barely speaks for 24hrs after the dose.

He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available. Chemotherapy is necessary in all acute leukemias but a bone marrow transplant (BMT) is not always necessary. A BMT is still technically considered an experimental procedure but can be recommended for patients especially if remission was not achieved in the first induction round, if he or she has had a previous cancer, or if the patient is at high risk of relapse. A BMT is coupled with very high doses of chemotherapy to kill off the vast majority of the patient's "bad" bone marrow so that the donor marrow has a chance to graft and take over once transplanted.

He had some joint pain at the time of diagnosis. I have to say I didn't really think too much of the joint pain because he doesn't walk well due to one of the previous chemotherapy drugs he had - Vincristine. Because of Vincristine his leg muscles are weaker and he walks with "slapfoot" or "dropfoot" and he trips and falls fairly often. I figured his joint pain was because of falling but since his diagnosis I now see that it was probably because of the leukemia. On treatment he has had a significant amount of bone and joint pain, especially early on. When it's clear that he is in pain, he does get pain meds to help. I think the painkillers do help him but I think even then he does have some pain but duller than without painkillers.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that he or she can reach remission and eventually NED status.

I hope this helped you out some and I hope your friend has a fast remission with no relapse. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

well i had Hopkins lymphoma and my stomach always hurt and i bought some bath crystals from avon called therapeutic bath minerals and it is blue and took a bath in them and made the water really hot and didn't bathe and it helped me i they subscribed me very strong dosage of a median that helped with nausea but i cant remember the name but it was pink and it was shaped like a diamond

Hope This Helps

= D